what is a good source for buying boxes to ship chickens.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by msusiemax, Oct 15, 2013.

1. msusiemax

msusiemax Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2013
    Eufaula, Oklahoma
    We will be attempting to ship chickens and eggs in the near future. I have received lots of egg and know where I can get boxes for them but will do i start for the chickens? We welcome any and all advice on this matter.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Those egg crates are for eating eggs. I have had my best luck with shipping hatching eggs by putting a 1/2 dozen eggs, each one wrapped in news paper inside an egg carton designed to hold one dozen eggs only using alternating egg slots. Fill the voids with crumpled paper and suspend each half full egg carton in a sea of wadded up news paper. Don't forget to use a strong cardboard box so they don't get crushed in shipment. Label the box:

"HATCHING EGGS"

"FRAGILE"

"TAIL GATE ONLY."

Don't forget to make vague claims that if the boys and girls the airlines hire to addle your hatching eggs aren't gentle with them that bad things may happen to them. One old timer I knew used a phony legal sounding US code number that had something to do with making Moonshine whisky on the outside of his egg shipment boxes and his shipments always seemed to come through intact.

Something like this: It is a violation of Federal Code BR549, Section 8, sub paragraph 12b to handle this box in such a way that may cause the contents there of to explode, causing traumatic amputation of embarrassing parts of the baggage handler's body. [​IMG]

Anything that calls attention to the fact that there are eggs inside is better than nothing.

For shipping grown live birds give these boxes a try.

http://www.randallburkey.com/Shipping-Boxes/products/215/

why it is important to box up eggs well.
    [​IMG]

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Horizon has shipping containers of various sizes.

http://www.hm-e.net/

Here are the USPS regulations regarding shipping of juvenile and adult birds. Note parts D and E. Also, FEDEX handles the actual shipping between USPS sorting facilities. If they get delayed somewhere (like being bumped off a flight for dry ice) the USPS won't be able to locate them.

9.3.4 Adult Birds

[9-3-13] Disease-free adult birds, weighing no more than 25 pounds, may be mailed domestically. Mailers must comply with all applicable governmental laws and regulations, including the Lacey Act, the Endangered Species Act (ESA), and regulations of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and any state, municipal or local ordinances. Mailings must also be compliant with the guidelines provided in USPS Publication 14, Prohibitions and Restrictions on Mailing Animals, Plants, and Related Matter, Chapter 5. In addition, each container or package must be marked as required by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service under 50 CFR 14.
    Adult birds are mailable as follows:

a. The mailer must send adult birds by Priority Mail Express in approved, secure containers.
    b. The number of birds per parcel must follow the container manufacturer limits and each bird must weigh more than 6 ounces.
    c. A mailing container must be used that is constructed by a USPS-approved manufacturer.
    d. Indemnity may be paid only for articles that are lost, damaged, or missing contents, and not for death of the birds in transit if there is no visible damage to the mailing container.
    e. Postage refunds may not be available if the Priority Mail Express shipment was delivered or delivery was attempted within three days of the date of mailing as shown in the “Date In” box on Label 11.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by