What is a heritage breed

PandaGirl

Chirping
Jan 27, 2021
Hi there,
I have a flock of Orpingtons. I liked them because they were heritage breed, and were not just breed over and over with other chickens. I just found out that actually they are just breed a long time ago. This is fine but then I got curious. I saw that hatchery breeds are not really heritage breeds. Does this mean that I do not really have Orpingtons because I got them from Murry McMurry Hatchery? I also read the breeders birds ( or heritage breeds) are much bigger. Why is this? Thanks!

Best definition I’ve found from modernfarmer.com*: “Heritage-breed chickens are defined by The Livestock Conservancy as breeds with four characteristics: they were recognized as an American Poultry Association Standard Breed prior to the mid-20th century, they are naturally mating, they can live a long and productive life outdoors and they have a slow growth rate”

Hatchery’s choose their best laying birds for breeding so that they can hatch and sell more eggs/chicks and heritage breeders choose their best looking birds that are closest to the SOP for breeding so they can continue on improving the breed. I’m not sure about the 1800’s question though as I was not there.

I suppose that the size difference also comes from years of hatching smaller eggs or young pullet/hen eggs too cause usually smaller eggs = smaller chicks and chickens, in general.

Back
Top Bottom