What is a Peacock-Pheasant?

DragonEggs

Songster
9 Years
May 11, 2010
Borger, TX
Is it a peacock and pheasant hybrid? (if so, does the peacock mate the female pheasant or does the male pheasant mate the peahen?) or is it just a type of pheasant that is called Peacock? Which brings into question if Peacocks and Pheasants can cross breed? I think peacocks are a type of pheasant and other pheasants can cross breed and some can even breed with chickens... So, I'm just wondering what it is?

A peacock pheasant is a species of pheasant that is all its own. There are grey, palawan, Malayan, and mountain. Their tails fan out like peacock. But they are small like a pheasant. They are pretty tuff to raise. Because they are very temperature sensitive. And they are also pretty spendy. But none the less are beautiful birds. As are all pheasant. They are definitely not crossed with a peacock.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of mine,one male and another of the family.
These pics do not do them any justice.They are georgeous birds,ecspecially when they display.I can never get the camera quick enough to catch him displaying.
In N.H.,Tony.

Check them out here .

smile.png

Tony, I've always been enchanted by the Palawans. Do you raise a few of the varieties? What are the birds in your photos? (This is my first visit to the pheasant forum, as I typically hang out on the peafowl and chicken pages.) Thank for your response. ~ sherri

Hi Sherri,
All I have are the grey peacock pheasants.In the future I hope to add palawans and germains,but not until I build more pens.I have 2 extra grey males if your interested in them?Both are from last year and both are parent raised.I brought them to a swap today(sun)and 1 of them tore his head up on the box.Hopefully it will grow back.The chicks in the 2nd pic is the male I have for sale,he was about 1 week old here.She hatched out a male and a female.
In N.H.,Tony.

Hi Tony
My pen is almost finished, and I'm waiting for a pair of Palawans this fall. I've been studying this forum for many days and learned a ton of great info. Thank you and others for providing such fabulous photos, details, essays and questions. Since I've always raised peafowl & chickens, pheasants will be a new adventure. Your birds are gorgeous, and I look forward to learning a lot from you and everyone else here. Many thanks!

Back
Top Bottom