what is all that dust in the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nuchickontheblock, Sep 15, 2013.

1. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    Today's the major clean out day that we do once a year--we use the deep litter method. Out with the old shavings and then wash everything down and reorganize the coop. So, what the heck makes all that dust?? Is it like chicken dander from their feathers or what?? Yikes!

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    Could be gathered dirt, sand, deteriorated droppings, and the such. We have the same when we let our coops go uncleaned.

HS Pye

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Chickens scratch and peck at everything. The dry matter in the coop tends to shred and flake from all this action. Consequently, you wind up with a lot of dust.

Chris

4. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Most of it is feather dander. They generate A LOT of dust, just from preening their feathers.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Like they said. Dander, dried droppings, shredded bedding, dirt and mud they track in, all of which they continuously scratch. Plus my contribution, dust that just blows in on the wind. Which is the greater component? Depends some on your coop and how you manage them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by