What is an EE?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Lobzi, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

I see so many different looking chickens referred to as EEs. I got some "EE" eggs from a friend and one hatched. Its picture is below. What kind of chicken is it? Does anyone know?

It is about 5 days old in this pic.
    [​IMG]

I call it Chipmunk because that is what its coloring and markings remind me of.

2. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Easter Egger is the name of the breed, you can look it up and see the different colors in the breed index.

3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    They are a mutt!!! Easter Egger - they are basically any chicken which lays blue/green eggs. They're usually very sweet - I think you'll like 'er

4. Lobzi

Thank you. Do you know the characteristics to look for in EEs for sexing or are there no specific tell-tail changes to watch for?

5. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    EEs are notoriously hard to sex - You can try posting pictures of her on here when she's about 6-8 weeks old. That'll be your best bet.

6. Lobzi

OK, thank you. Ill do that. Thank you again for increasing my knowledge of chickens.

7. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:Probably the earliest indicator is the pea comb usually changes to pink and then red on the males long before the pullets , probably starting around 4 or 5 weeks . Since they are usually of unknow breeding and all individuals vary in when they start showing signs of sexual maturity nothing is a hard and fast rule .

8. Lobzi

Yes, I always say the truth is in the comb. It has never failed me though I have tried hard to ignore what I know is the truth. Isnt there something about feathering out faster indicating a female too? Also, I saw on feathersite.com a picture of two week old Faverolle wing coloring as an indicator.

[​IMG]
    the top is of the male, showing the darker coloring on the wing

I do enjoy watching them grow, photographing them myself and then using the information gained and photo data for further generation comparison.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by