What is best breed to get?

If you want production, ISA Browns are definitely the best but they do slow down around year 2-3. And they can sometimes have reproductive issues. But not always. Leghorns are another great choice if you can get those. Marans lay nice dark eggs if egg color matters to you.

I want to thank all of you for your help and suggestions. I dug out old equipment and got everything set up for my new chicks. When I got to the store they had a different breed. ISO's were gone which I wanted to try, but I was able to get 3 mystics marans (which is the 2nd breed I decided to try) and 3 blue plymouth rocks. I have had rocks before and loved them. So happy to have chickens again. Thank you all.

I see that you've got your birds, but I thought I'd comment on this anyway for others reading this thread in the future:

but read that Wyandottes don't get along well with other breeds.

My Silver-Laced Wyandottes, though not the most heat-hardy of birds in my steamy climate, are perfectly good flock citizens. Most of my other birds are Australorps, so the size is about the same and it seems that they mesh well.

I want to thank all of you for your help and suggestions. I dug out old equipment and got everything set up for my new chicks. When I got to the store they had a different breed. ISO's were gone which I wanted to try, but I was able to get 3 mystics marans (which is the 2nd breed I decided to try) and 3 blue plymouth rocks. I have had rocks before and loved them. So happy to have chickens again. Thank you all.
I'm jealous, I'd love to find some of those Blue Rocks.💚

I am in the question phase on deciding the breed as well. I am in the hot Deep South Alabama. We do have some cold “winters” but not many.

I am in the question phase on deciding the breed as well. I am in the hot Deep South Alabama. We do have some cold “winters” but not many.

Welcome to BYC.

The key things for chickens here in the Steamy Southeast are SHADE and VENTILATION.

Hot Climate Chicken Housing and Care

Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation

The characteristics that tend to go hand-in-hand with heat tolerance are:
  • Large single comb
  • Clean legs
  • Lighter build
  • Closer, "tighter" feathering (vs fluffy feathering)
  • Mediterranean or south Asian heritage
But chickens are widely adaptable. Most of the classic Dual Purpose breeds are capable of thriving in many different climates.

We’re in KY so similar weather but y’all are likely a little hotter for longer than here. We have some hot summers but cold rainy and muddy winters.
I’ve always selected for single combs, no real heavily feathered breeds and no feathered leg breeds
As long as they have shade and water they should do ok .
The crossbred layers like ISA Brown, Red Star, Amberlink, Black Star will all do pretty good in hot and cold weather
Rhode Island Red, Plymouth Rocks, will work good too.
As somebody else mentioned the Mediterranean breeds like Leghorns, Minorcas etc lay white eggs and are well suited to hotter weather.

Back
Top Bottom