What is best laying hens

Bigzio, I just got three Brahmas a few weeks ago. Two Lts and one Buff, now about 5 weeks old. I'm glad to hear that about yours! They are beautiful birds! I am afraid, however, that one of my two Lt Brahmas may be a cockerel and one of Ideal's sexing mistakes, so I'm waiting to see if I'll be down to only two Brahmas. Hope not.

It doesn't get the cold in western washington but My leghorns did just fine in the few on and off days of freezing weather and the few days of blanket snow and ice. Still got big white eggs out of them.

As far as eggs go though, they are white, and when it gets wet and muddy, no matter how hard I try, the eggs look so much dirtier and stained when compared to the brown eggs.

I'm up here in Canada and my leghorn does just fine...but temperment wise she's nuts.LOL I have to have a heat lamp on all winter, but they are out there in the snow trucking around no prob...they were even sliding on the ice the other day! Super funny. Wilma will be 1 this spring and she lays very regular and sometimes I even get a double yoker from her. Hope this helps. My Barred, and RIR's are also just fine in the winter. Have fun deciding!!!
yippiechickie.gif

I can vouch for the Barred Rocks, Leghorns, Bf Orps & Reds. I just added Blk Australorps to my flock this Spring, so I can't wait to see how they lay in comparision to the others. I also have Dominiques & they've been awesome layers too.
Don't have any Sexlinks but I hear they're great. Good luck deciding!

Back
Top Bottom