What is better, Run with or without a roof????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickaABCD, Feb 7, 2014.

1. ChickaABCD

ChickaABCD Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2014
    Before I start my plans for my run, I would like to get thoughts on building it "with" or "without" a roof. My thinking is 50/50 due to thinking the girls love the sun to worrying about predators.

2. alije

alije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Slovenia
    Depending on where you live, if there is a lot of rain and snow, you need a roof ... at least in one part of the run. You can use clear roof so that transmits rays of the sun.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I did a mesh roof for hawk protection...it works.

[​IMG]

4. pshuman

pshuman New Egg

Dec 8, 2013
    I put chicken wire over the entire top of my run. I also covered half of it with a black mesh type cover for some shade.

5. grampsjim

grampsjim Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    Ardmore, Oklahoma
    Hello, we are late in life backyard chicken folks in Okla. My hubby built our coop with sheet iron that was given to us and the run is chicken wire doubled with cattle fence along the bottom. We have a coon and dog problem here so that's why the cattle fence along the bottom. We also have hawks and eagles here so we covered the run with chicken wire. We just 2 days ago got our "girls" and they seem to like their new quarters. No eggs yet though...

6. escape

escape Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    We let our chickens free range for several hours a day, but the rest of the day they are in the run. We built it so that half of it has a roof and half is just netting. They can decide which half they want to be in. ;)

Good luck!

7. Klutch

Klutch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2014
    West Sacramento
    I like that, because they could escape from the sun if they need to. I also have some siding on the south side to help create a shade spot, just a little for not to block airflow. Oh and a little siding on the north side to create a little warm. It can get a bit chilly from the north wind in Norcal.

8. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    I went with a secured run.

Slope roof over 1/3 so I could stand while filing feeder and waterer. Flat fiberglass panels on the rest to help keep out snow and rain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. grampsjim

grampsjim Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    Ardmore, Oklahoma
    P.S. Our run is shaded by a big ole oak tree much of the day. The north west side gets plenty of sun though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by