what is causeing my eggs to die?

JessyGii

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 4, 2012
Ohio
I have 40 eggs in the incubator today I candled them all and 6 have formed an embryo but the embryo died and made a blood ring and black clot looking spot.

what causes the embryo just to randomly die they died at about a week into development.

I have been keeping my temp right on at 99.9 degree and about 55-60% humidity and I roll them twice a day.

I lost 10 eggs total because 4 were infertile on top of the 6 that died and I have 4 or 5 more that look questionable but I left those in the incubator. they are due oct 15th

what can I do in future hatches to prevent so many from dieing?

I'm sorry to hear that. When I incubated, I had an auto turner. Could they need turned more often? I think that humidity is a bit high. I always had mine set a 40 to 45%, but I'm not sure that it would kill the embryos though.

Did you by chance wash the eggs? Alot of people swear that you wash off the bloom, and that makes the embryo vulnerable to germs and such.

What kind of incubator are you using?

The humidity mainly stays at a constant 55% just has gone up 2 or 3 times to 60% I have it lowered to about 45% now.

I never wash my eggs because I herd of that also.

I have a little giant still air Styrofoam incubator that holds about 100 eggs.

I bought a digital thermometer / hydrometer and I check the temp all the time and it stays right on.

I turn all my eggs by hand because I like to. I wash my hands before touching and I gently roll them all once in morning and once in evening I herd to turn twice a day I didn't want to roll them more because I thought I would mess up the temp and humidity if I kept opening it to roll. when I roll I just crack it open a little bit just enough to stick my hand in and I quickly roll and get out this doesn't usually make the temp or humidity drop, my temp will stay the same my humidity may drop a percent.

I cracked open the dead eggs and it looks like the first 3 eggs died between 3-4 days and the 4th one died at about 7 days

I'm with chicmom on this one. You need to turn your eggs more. An odd number of times a day is best. At least three times but 5 is better. This is so your eggs are not left on the same side for two nights in a row.
If left in the same position for too long the embryo can sick to the inside and therefore cause the embryo to die. 45% is also better for humidity your eggs should lose enough moisture and the air cell grow large enough.
Wishing you the very best of luck :fl

Thanks for the advice its hard to know what to do for sure when different articles and instructions tell you different. I will turn them more and see if it helps thanks.

I'm sure it will help. I don't think I've ever read anywhere that you can turn them too much. I have a turner and they are turned 90 degrees either side every half hour 24/7 so they are constantly on the move.

All the information you hear can make your head spin, that's for sure. I have also heard, like Yorkshire Coop mentioned, that if you don't turn enough, your embryo will attach itself to the egg wall, and that can cause a quitter.

As you incubate, you discover and learn things that help you be more successful as time goes on. It's so hard to wait those 21 days......Don't give up if you enjoy it! And if this is a bad hatch, try again, and incorporate some of the things you want to try....One thing at a time (like maybe turning more next time), that way you figure out what works.

Good luck and keep us posted!

The humidity mainly stays at a constant 55% just has gone up 2 or 3 times to 60% I have it lowered to about 45% now.

I never wash my eggs because I herd of that also.

I have a little giant still air Styrofoam incubator that holds about 100 eggs.

I bought a digital thermometer / hydrometer and I check the temp all the time and it stays right on.

I turn all my eggs by hand because I like to. I wash my hands before touching and I gently roll them all once in morning and once in evening I herd to turn twice a day I didn't want to roll them more because I thought I would mess up the temp and humidity if I kept opening it to roll. when I roll I just crack it open a little bit just enough to stick my hand in and I quickly roll and get out this doesn't usually make the temp or humidity drop, my temp will stay the same my humidity may drop a percent.

I cracked open the dead eggs and it looks like the first 3 eggs died between 3-4 days and the 4th one died at about 7 days

Good advice here about turning and humidity probably being too high. But also I noted you have a still air incubator and with still air your temp should be 101.5ºF - 102ºF on top of the eggs because hot air rises, and without a fan to circulate the air, the middle and bottom of the eggs will end up cooler. The 99.5ºF - 100ºF temps you always read about in hatching guides are for circulated air incubators.

Back
Top Bottom