What is causing this? 2 eggs a day/soft egg?

GrootKip

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2019
Seattle, Wa
Little back round....I'm new here (Hi! :frow) but not new to raising chickens. We moved recently and had to start our flock all over (cross country move). Anyway, I have an ISA brown that is having some issues. Now we have different breeds/color eggs, so I am 100% sure who is who.

I've been getting a soft egg laid on the coop floor every 2-3 days. I was having a really hard time figuring out who it was because the membrane was so light (no indication of shell color). Everyone is around 22-23 weeks and only 4 chickens are laying right now (out of 11). So this morning I collected my eggs (my ISA lays huge brown ones and no one else lays anything similar). They are on layer feed, extra calcium in the coop...etc.

I go to check on them and the ISA is walking like she is egg bound. I walk over to her and she lays a soft shell on the ground (then proceeds to eat it :rolleyes:). She laid an egg this morning....of that I am 100% sure. She has laid an egg every single day for the last 2 weeks (been laying 3 weeks now). So what is going on that on every 2nd or 3rd day she is laying ANOTHER egg but soft shell? I thought the 2 egg a day thing was rare? I'm assuming since this is a premature egg laying issue that extra calcium won't help? What could be causing her to lay an extra egg every couple of days that is soft? Just working the kinks out? :confused: stress? I'm worried that all these soft shells that are being eaten will cause a problem. Any advice?

Not unusual for new layers to lay softies.
More common in high production hybrids like an ISA to lay a hard then soft egg in same day.
No, extra calcium won't help....her ovary is on overdrive
Odd posture and place is also not uncommon, soft eggs are 'harder' to move down the pike.
Hopefully it runs it's course within a month or so.
Soft or thin shells are fair game for eating, and will not necessarily lead to them eating hard shelled egg, but best to try and get them up asap if possible.
If you're giving treats, good for them to be high protein treats..and always in moderation.

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @GrootKip
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-7-24_9-13-18.png

Thanks, just so odd. We never had that happen before. I always thought the 2 egg a day thing was super rare or a myth lol I know soft shells are common, just never thought she's be laying both in one day! I was thinking maybe stress from our Rooster but he has 11 ladies to harass and she isn't his favorite :lol: We are just outside the Seattle area, so weather is pretty mild. ;)

Back
Top Bottom