What is coming out of my chicken? URGENT

Dec 21, 2021
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
She's an Australorp hen that is about 2 years old. Lost weight.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She is trying to pass something, and keeps squatting to push it out. To me it doesn't really look like an egg with no shell. She is excited to eat treats and is grooming herself and walking around.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
I have suspected ocular Mareks for quite some time now, maybe 4 - 5 months. She has developed a gold ring around her eye and her iris is slightly off. She has been losing feathers and her face is paler than the others. The thing coming out of her I only noticed an hour ago. I don't think it was there yesterday, I don't regularly check their vents.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
N/A

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Recently I took away the oyster shells as I integrated new birds into the flock that are too young to have them. Which is why I slightly suspect an egg with no shell but it just doesn't look like that to me. (please see picture)

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Not sure

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Separated her with water and food. Unsure of my next step.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Depends on what it might be

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
file attached

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
I use large pine flakes

If this is an egg with no shell, what do I do? If this a prolapse, what do I do and what could have caused it? Besides the seemingly unrelated symptoms I mentioned above, she hasn't shown any signs of being sick or in pain.

Attachments

• 76C0E84A-9994-4D9C-B695-7695CF8D9269.jpeg
    76C0E84A-9994-4D9C-B695-7695CF8D9269.jpeg
    630.3 KB · Views: 340
  • 038E0E0C-F57E-4982-AFFB-D104370DDF9D.jpeg
    038E0E0C-F57E-4982-AFFB-D104370DDF9D.jpeg
    589.4 KB · Views: 65
I really hope this is a better picture, it isn't great but at least her vent is visible. We washed her with water, to remove the feces and blood. There wasn't a lot of blood, but this looks horrible. EDIT: A family member helping me felt it and said it feels hard, not soft.
Thank you for that picture! Much better to tell what's going on.
Looks to me like quite a large prolapse. Could be caused by an egg, since you say it feels hard I think that's what it is.
The opening you can see to the left I believe is the reproduction intestine, and I think the egg is still in that part, and trying to come out of the reproduction intestine.
What you want to do is give her a calcium citrate +D3 tablet with at least 500mg of calcium, give that once a day. Just pop it in her mouth and she'll swallow it.
You'll also want to keep the prolapse moist, do so by applying a cream or honey to it, make sure it doesn't dry out.

I'll tag some experts.
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @azygous

I agree she has a prolapsed cloaca. I cannot tell if it looks like she is also egg bound, but could be. Give her 600 mg of calcium citrate with d or other calcium, and pop it into her beak to swallow. You can use vaseline, hydrocortisone cream, or other mild oil for the prolapse to keep it moist. Can you feel it to see if there is an egg? I am looking for a video of an egg ound hen with a prolapse to help you.

Thank you all so so much! Will petroleum jelly work? I've used that for egg bound chickens in the past.
Yes, I believe that should work!
Besides that, should I try to put the egg / prolapse back in? Since I've never done this before, should I contact a vet?
Hmm, I'm not sure. Let's see what the experts will say.
Does it seem like it can go back in if you try pushing it in a bit?
Again thank you all so I know where to go from here.
My pleasure!

UPDATE: She took quite a large and healthy looking poop, and now the prolapse is soft, so my guess is that it was the poop causing it to feel hard? I gave her an epsom salt bath, the tums, moisturized the prolapse, I was trying to gently push it back inside but with no luck. I'm not sure if I'm just not pushing with enough force (I am scared lol) or if for whatever reason it doesn't want to go back in. She is contracting.

Attachments

• B86366E0-4BED-42F3-8A91-82363D2F3FFB.jpeg
    B86366E0-4BED-42F3-8A91-82363D2F3FFB.jpeg
    568.2 KB · Views: 13
These urates are drying on the prolapse over night. I keep up with the creams during the day but every morning she has had more and more dry up on her and now its almost fully coated. I give her baths to soak it and manage to get some of it off, but she has a lot coming out of her. The skin looks perfectly fine under the dried urates, but I don't know how to get it all off now or if I should still be trying to shove the prolapse back into her vent with that stuff on it?
Also, about how long can the prolapse be out without an issue? Its been quite a number of days now, should I be concerned that it might not go back in fully?
Giving daily soaks in a warm epsom salts bath and
Coating the dried material with mineral oil may help the crusty urates come off more easily.

You're right, the skin underneath usually does look o.k.

You're still giving extra calcium correct? If possible, get some Calcium Citrate with D3 and give her 1 tablet daily.

Giving daily soaks in a warm epsom salts bath and
Coating the dried material with mineral oil may help the crusty urates come off more easily.

You're right, the skin underneath usually does look o.k.

You're still giving extra calcium correct? If possible, get some Calcium Citrate with D3 and give her 1 tablet daily.
Got it 👍 Trying again today with another bath
I've been giving her tums, but I will see about getting my hands on calcium citrate tablets

Thanks so much guys for coaching me through this

Back
Top Bottom