1. Wyo Chick

Wyo Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

I am new to the website and have heard a lot of you use DE for the deep litter method. What is it and how does it work?!! Thank You.

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    http://www.planetnatural.com/site/diatomaceous-earth.html

"100%
    Organic. Diatomaceous Earth is the finely ground fossils of prehistoric fresh water diatoms. Kills household and garden pests like cockroaches, ants, slugs, fleas, beetles and many other crawling insects. Works great indoors or out. Insects die within 48 hours of contact. Contains less than 0.1% Crystalline Silica. Food grade. OMRI Listed for use in organic production."

3. Wyo Chick

How does this product help with the deep mulch method?

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    When using the deep litter method, DE helps to dry up the poo, keep the smell down, and keep mites away.

5. Wyo Chick

Thank you for the info! I have wanted to do the deep mulch method, but the flies seem to take over. Yuck! I'll look for the DE today and start before winter hits. I love this site. I am so glad I found itj. Thanks

6. ChickaD

ChickaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    central Vermont
    Just be sure to get the food grade DE, as hypnofrogstevie pointed out (nice explanation, btw!), as there's a critical difference. One source is custommilling.com Mine came from Permaguard years ago and it's still just fine.

Some online sellers charge WAY too much, or get you on the shipping

7. kalaim

kalaim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    You can also buy directly from their website too. [​IMG]

8. Google Golden Blend group, Ibuy mine from them.Ipay $20.00for50lbs. The rep has a stall at the local flea market since he sell all kinds of exotic animal feed so idon't have to pay shipping charges.marrie

9. Wraith

Wraith Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2008
    Upstate SC
    What would this do to fire ants? Would it be an effective treatment or would it just kill the ones that come out of the nest and leave the rest unharmed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by