What is Diatomaceous Earth???

If you burn wood then any benefit of DE would be improved on by making a dust bath area with wood ash. I've a large shallow container that I put ash in and they use to dust bath.

People mix DE into dusting areas that the chickens make. It's effectiveness to limiting lice, mites etc. would be equated to amount used. Why I like ash, it's free and I have a shallow tub, not a kiddie pool size yet for them to use.

I keep seeing Diatomaceous Earth in the poultry section of the local Farm stores. It doesn't really say on the packages what it is for. Should I be using this?

Definition-
  1. a soft, crumbly, porous sedimentary deposit formed from the fossil remains of diatoms.

Its a fine grit powder that is suppose to get into the joints of insects and kill them. You can dust your animals, yard, garden, pet food, etc to help with getting rid of insects.

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/degen.html should give you a better idea on what it is and the uses

I just bought some for my garden.

My now 13 week old Buffs have been 'free ranging' for at least 6 weeks now should I be concerned about them getting grit? Do I buy grit and put it in a bowl for them to eat or just mix it in with their food? They're not laying eggs yet so I've been told that the chick starter/grower is good to use right up until the time they start laying eggs. There is so much in the store and it's all very confusing. Grit, crumble, oyster shells, calcium etc etc. I really want to make sure my 'kids' get the right nutrition so I'm really worried.

Back
Top Bottom