WHAT IS DUCKY

suzhouchen

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2021
I bought Ducky on March 12th from a Farm Store. I do not know if Ducky is a boy or a girl. I am madly in love with him.
He hisses at people who come to my door, he is sort of a guard duck, of his own making. He likes to snuggle and cuddle and tickle me with his chattering beak. He is an awesome swimmer underwater, he dives and circles his pool then pops up on his feet and flaps his tiny wings. I always praise him.
I know he is a Kahki Campbell, but I am not sure if he is a drake or a hen. Can anyone show me a hen and a drake together so I can actually see the color differences? Or does somebody know.

Attachments

• 164734489_778515406391767_2755515402200258855_n.jpg
    164734489_778515406391767_2755515402200258855_n.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 165226159_779701946273113_1357502166618872377_n.jpg
    165226159_779701946273113_1357502166618872377_n.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 170592667_787591035484204_577416101002972429_n.jpg
    170592667_787591035484204_577416101002972429_n.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 17
I believe the color difference will come once they're much older. Are they your only duck? Ducks are really social creatures : D
Ducky is my only duck. I cuddle him morning and night. He spends his day in the pool and seldoms comes out. He sleeps in the house. When I know for sure if Ducky is a drake or hen then I will get him the appropriate friend. I want him to be happy, but right now I can only do one duck.

Ducky is my only duck. I cuddle him morning and night. He spends his day in the pool and seldoms comes out. He sleeps in the house. When I know for sure if Ducky is a drake or hen then I will get him the appropriate friend. I want him to be happy, but right now I can only do one duck.
you need two ducks or no ducks. sorry but it’s true and best for him.

you need two ducks or no ducks. sorry but it’s true and best for him.
I understand that which is why I said I intend to get him the appropriate friend. Right now I am moving and can only do one duck. As soon as I am moved and things are set up at the new home, then things can move forward. He is not acclimated to other ducks yet but he goes to a park pond with other big ducks. Since he is young I have pretty much guarded him and protected him so he does not get caught up in a pecking order at the park pond.

I understand that which is why I said I intend to get him the appropriate friend. Right now I am moving and can only do one duck. As soon as I am moved and things are set up at the new home, then things can move forward. He is not acclimated to other ducks yet but he goes to a park pond with other big ducks. Since he is young I have pretty much guarded him and protected him so he does not get caught up in a pecking order at the park pond.
I actually wouldn't have any contact with ducks at the park pond, that could add a risk of them spreading illness to your duckling. Spend all of your time with your duckling until you get another duck.

Well...you could vent sex, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you are in love with your baby and won't be getting rid of Ducky even if it's a boy or a girl then waiting is best. You could damage the poor baby's privates if you aren't careful😬, but if you really want to, just look up -Vent sexing waterfowl***Updated- on the thread search.

I actually wouldn't have any contact with ducks at the park pond, that could add a risk of them spreading illness to your duckling. Spend all of your time with your duckling until you get another duck.
I never thought of that. We were trapped in a car together for the first month. So I found a pond at this park. I would put him in the water by the concrete barrier just to let him swim for awhile. I never allowed him to be near the other ducks and if they would swim toward him I would shooo them away. Ducky is just a baby and fowls have pecking orders. I did not want him to be attacked by Big Bully ducks. There were three pekins which I sware were the duck mafia at the pond. I will keep him away.
He has his own pool and I change the pool water ever 3 or 4 days to keep it clean.

I have been looking into getting ducks so I might not be the best resource but from what I understand when young its next to impossible to sex them.

As adults males have one or more feathers on top of their tail that curl. If you have a male the best ratio seems to be 1 male to 5 females to prevent the male from constantly harassing only one or two females. If its a female at least a trio but more the better.

I am totally new to ducks and this is what I have found in my research. I haven't gotten any yet. Hopefully someone with more duck experience will set me straight if this is incorrect.

I know I'm late to the game here, but when you DO figure out the gender (prob by a quack or lack there of) make sure you get a friend of similar size/age so it will be easier to integrate the 2. And dont just throw them together, let them meet eachother with a safe barrier between them for a few days.

Your Ducky is ADORABLE ❤❤❤

Back
Top Bottom