What is "egg bound?"

Helen

Chirping
16 Years
Aug 2, 2007
Kodiak, Alaska
I have a 3 year old Rhode Island red hen who is sleeping on the floor instead of roosting. She moves around, but much more slowly than the other hens. Her back end is very tight, like she is stuffed full. Her poop is normal, although it seems smaller than the other hens. I read the words "egg bound" in another post and wondered if that could be her problem? She is fed layer crumble, and gets to scratch in the yard for a short time each day. There is grit available and plenty of water. I noticed today, while bringing her into my "chicken hospital" (kitchen) that her comb is pale on the top. I had not noticed any discoloring before.

If she's not constipated, and if it's not egg bound, maybe she's sick and I should get rid of her? So sad, she's so sweet. Any ideas? Thanks

maybe she is just going into molt,,,,and if she is not feeling well why would you want to get rid of her just when she needs you the most,,,,,,,,,,does she have any other symptoms? Does she feel like she is eggbound?

I read that over again and it does sound like she may be eggbound but you will need more advice than I can give you to fix that. Sometimes I have heard a 1/2 hr warm bath where you massage the area where you think the egg is will help the hen release the egg, but I have never done it.

Last edited:
I really am new at navigating this Forum, so bear with me. I brought my red hen into the house yesterday. She was happy, though very quiet, and drank lots of water. I also gave her some yogurt and oatmeal which she ate right up. Her bum is tight, that's why I was wondering. Does "egg bound" mean that there is an egg stuck that she can't get out?

Her feathers are bright and shiny, although her comb is pale on the top. She has not other symptoms other than being slow and walking like a 9 month pregnant lady! One of her feet seems to be turned in a bit. I'm just fishing for more info. Thanks!

It does sound like she is eggbound; hopefully someone with experience can tell you what to do, try a search on eggbound and you may get some answers as what to do but she needs help I think

The warm bath does well if she really IS eggbound...if she's pooping smaller than the other birds, she might be constipated too.

Eggbound is just like it sounds..the egg is stuck and can't get out...It happens if your bird is overweight or she's got a large egg in the pipeline or there's a softshelled egg and the muscles cant get a grip on it.

The warm bath relaxes the muscles so that she can push the egg out. In some cases, you might need to go in there with a finger and grab it yourself.

try this link it might help,,,I like the warm towel method sounds easier,,,,,,it can be really frustrating sometimes trying to use the search when you are new to this sight,,,,,,,,,I tried when I was new with veryy limited success, Good Luck
smile.png
Please let us know how it goes Thank You

www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=54845

Last edited:
Wow! You all are great. I did go to that link, and am encouraged that maybe I have some info to guide me. Well, it'll be a few hours before I'll be able to go home and try all of this great advise. Wish me luck! And THANKS!
tongue.png

I tried holding her with a steamy towel under her, lubed my finger after a while and felt around. I couldn't feel any egg at all. Then out came a lump about an inch in diameter, reddish, like a blood clot or something. It almost has the same color as beef liver. I did feel another little lump as well. While holding her I massaged her tummy some. It is swollen and tight, and quite warm, although that may be from sitting on my lap.

She squeaked a bit, and now is breathing kind of hard and trying to get her breath back. She has had a few poops today, all are normal. We'll see what else I can learn from her! Poor thing.

Well that was sweet of you to do that for her. I hope she is ok, probably needs a rest. You too huh? I wish someone else could pipe in with words of wisdom.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom