what is everything I need?

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
what are all the supplies I need to start with chicks and once they move out to the coop. I am set on a brooder and heating source, have those figured out. but what else do I need? Links to good types of things would be great too. I know food but what kind? I know a feeder/water "bowl" but what kind? etc. TIA!

There are a lot of nice-to-haves but the needs are pretty simple. In the brooder they need food, water, protection from the environment, protection from predators, and room to grow. The brooder needs to stay dry and have decent ventilation and wind protection.

For their first several weeks they need a Starter. That should have a calcium content of around 1%. It could be a little less or a little more but somewhere around 1%. Your other option is Layer which has about a 4% calcium content. That is a big no-no. Stay around 1% Calcium. The protein contend should be around 18% to 20%. That protein level gets them off to a good start and helps them feather out fast. If you look on the label you should be able to see the analysis, the percent of a few basic nutrients. The bag may be called Starter but some people use feeds with other names like All-Flock or Flock-Raiser. Those are just marketing names, the percent calcium and protein on the label is what is important. The feed should be either a crumble or a mash. Pellets are too big for baby chicks to eat.

For waterers you have all kinds of options. You can use a vacuum-gravity waterer, you can probably buy one at the feed store. They are usually a red plastic with a plastic jar that screws on about the size of a quart jar. Some people use nipple waterers, either horizontal or vertical. I use a black rubber bowl I get from Tractor Supply and fill it with small rocks so the chicks can drink but not fall in and drown. They all can work but the important thing is that the should not leak. Your brooder needs to stay dry. And the water needs to be clean. Dirty water or a wet brooder are unhealthy.

Protection from predators should be pretty self-explanatory. In your house that might mean your pets or your kids.

Protection from the environment basically means you do not want a breeze blowing on the chicks and, if outside, it doesn't rain on them. They need a spot warm enough in the coolest conditions and a spot cool enough in the warmest conditions. In your climate controlled house that can be pretty easy to do but if your brooder is outside where it is subjected to temperature swings that can be more challenging.

When they move out to the coop the needs stay pretty much the same: food, water, protection from predators and the environment, and room. You can get all kinds of different opinions on what food is best. Some people continue to feed an 18% to 20% protein feed, some of us cut back to 16%. The main thing to me is that they don't need a higher calcium feed until they start laying, so stay around 1% calcium. I don't care what the protein level is as long as it isn't ridiculously high or low. If you let yours forage for much of what they eat you've lost control over this anyway.

The same types of waterers will work. Lots of different options.

Again, predator protection is pretty self-explanatory. You don't want anything that can kill them or eat them be able to get to them. Environmental protection changes a little. You still don't want a cold breeze in winter to hit them when they are sleeping but in the heat of summer that can feel good to them. You don't want it to raining on them in the coop. Mine enjoy being outside in a gentle rain in the summer. Unless you get to below -20 F in winter you should not need to give them any heat, their down coat keeps them warm.

If you want, you can read my thoughts on how much room if you follow the link in my signature below. You'll see why I don't believe in magic numbers for room. Those are starting points, not end points.

In the coop you will want nests and roosts. I like a small "pop" door for them to use to go from the coop to the run. You can use a human sized door but that lets rain and weather in the coop. A small pop door does a lot better at keeping the weather outside.

I consider these the basic needs. There are a lot of nice-to-haves but it will not harm them to not have them. You might put a perch in the brooder, just something they can hop up on. In the coop I like a broody buster and a place to isolate an injured chicken or one that is behaving badly if I need to. There are all kinds of things you can do that might make your life easier or that the chickens enjoy. To me the greatest "toy" you can give your chickens is lots of room. That is the greatest boredom buster there is.

We use an old dog crate for our brooder. I line the bottom half with cardboard because when they're little they can for through the bars. We just use these small waterer and feeder. I feed dumor chick starter then switch to all flock once they're a little bigger. We brood ours in the coop . Use a brooding plate but we have electricity in our coop. I also use pine shavings . Some people use paper towels but I've never had a problem with shavings.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210207-142749_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210207-142749_Samsung Internet.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20210207-142830_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210207-142830_Samsung Internet.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 1
I'll have to check what my chick starter crumbs have calcium wise, thx for the tip ridge.
So water, food, heat, dryness, and ventilation. Humidity 40-60%.

I am planning to feed mine some mealworms and crickets as treats this time.

There are a lot of nice-to-haves but the needs are pretty simple. In the brooder they need food, water, protection from the environment, protection from predators, and room to grow. The brooder needs to stay dry and have decent ventilation and wind protection.
Thank you! That was GREAT information and will let me know what to look for exactly not just "chick food" but % of each thing that they need. and gives me some good ideas on what to get for their water. :)

We use an old dog crate for our brooder. I line the bottom half with cardboard because when they're little they can for through the bars. We just use these small waterer and feeder. I feed dumor chick starter then switch to all flock once they're a little bigger. We brood ours in the coop . Use a brooding plate but we have electricity in our coop. I also use pine shavings . Some people use paper towels but I've never had a problem with shavings.
Thank you. We are using a dog crate with cardboard around the lower part but also 1/4" or 1/2" wire around it since they will be in the house the first few weeks and we have cats that we don't have a space to put the chicks that they can't get to. Thanks for the picture of the feeder and waterer.

Back
Top Bottom