What is "flogging"

I have a young BR roo, and began having issues of kicking or flogging, a friend suggested to daily hold him in your lap, with all his girls watching, for at least ten minutes daily, and it will show him you are the dominant roo- not sure if it works with older roos that are set in their behavior, but it seems to be working for now- another thing i've learned is keep a close eye on him! in case he feels threatened

here is a good thread discussing it

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=251389

Quote:
HeHe, sneak up on my Buff Silkie Roo and you'll soon find out!
lau.gif
gig.gif

easttxchick wrote: Being on guard is always a good idea with a rooster.
wink.png

Thank you!!

miss_jayne wrote: getting close to sexual maturation

Ah, he is at that point now (17 wks old), he has no qualms with who is around when mating, our 10 yr old granddaughter this weekend told him to "Knock it off"

This past weekend while supervising our 6 and 10 yr old grandkids in the run, I did not take my eyes off of him. He kind of walked around and while close to us, he also kept his eyes on me. May have had something to do with the stick I was walking around with. Not sure if that was the correct thing to do, but also not taking any chances. Thanks for the info !!​

Last edited:
The stick is a great idea. I started carrying my purple web broom with me(for some reason he is terrified of it). I REALLY don't want to whack him, but if I have to, the end of the web broom shouldn't hurt him.

Quote:
I agree with a good many of your posts, but charging back at him and telling him whose boss i don't think will work much.. Chickens don't exactly respond to verbal commands, or at least mine don't..

I say pick him up and hold him for a couple of minutes, no matter what he does just hold him.. Then set him down gently on the ground, or you can just give him the boot like Miss Jayne suggested.

As for the question, rooster aggression could be something you did, something you're wearing, or it can just be he didn't want you in his territory/feared you were going to mess with the hens.

he has no qualms with who is around when mating, our 10 yr old granddaughter this weekend told him to "Knock it off"

I don't allow my roos to mate in my presence. I always knock them off if they try. The dominant roo in a flock will never let others mate his girls if he can stop it in time.

Any act of aggression, such as doing "the dance"...that sideways, wing-down little hop, charging or flogging should be met with extreme aggressive movements of your own. I don't use sound, but I have surprised them when they weren't expecting it, just like they do us.

The boot, a good wallop with a stick across the feathery backside or a head cuff should be sufficient. I've never really had to do this twice and never had to look over my shoulder again. A smart roo will learn quickly and all of mine have.

Picking them up and carrying them? I've read on here that it works and I've also read that it has to be repeated from time to time. My method works the first time, so it's a time saver and it's effectiveness is great for me. It is pure bliss to be able to walk around my chickens without worrying or looking over my shoulder.​

Beekissed wrote: I don't allow my roos to mate in my presence. I always knock them off if they try

Ok, so we are on the right path with that one. We have been stopping him "Hef" when we are around. Our granddaughter spotted it first that time as she was waiting for us by the fence.

Any act of aggression, such as doing "the dance"...that sideways, wing-down little hop, charging or flogging should be met with extreme aggressive movements of your own. I don't use sound, but I have surprised them when they weren't expecting it, just like they do us.

The boot, a good wallop with a stick across the feathery backside or a head cuff should be sufficient. I've never really had to do this twice and never had to look over my shoulder again.

Thank you. Another question, what is a "head cuff". Boy, I feel like I am back in school again
smile.png

When you reach for a hen and he darts a little peck at you, just lightly slap, or cuff, him across the side of the head with a cupped palm. It doesn't have a hard impact but has the effect of a cold glass of water to the face. Sort of like popping a kid in the mouth for sassing....it doesn't have to be hard but it sure surprises them!
wink.png

As you can probably tell, I'm bossy with my chickens. Well....I am with all my animals!
tongue.png
lol.png
It prevents so many problems later if you can establish dominance in your barn yard.

It would sure be great if you can have your children do the same thing as it may keep them from getting flogged in the future. Roos seem to want to be aggressive towards any uncertain or fearful movements and kids are usually a target.

i've had issues with my roo trying to get "cocky" with me latley... and i also read something about makking sure he knows you're the alpha roo.... i grab him and hold him periodically, but my 6 yr old man handles the poor guy like a stuffed doll.... this kid acts like a pro.. you'd think he had 20 yrs exp.. he swoops in grabs the legs and brings them to his chest.. it's crazy to watch... so i have no worries about my kids in the coop... but he has tried to challenge me... i chase him with a shovel handle that always ends up out there.. i don't hit him with it, but i hit the ground around him and it scares him.. after chasing him for a few minutes, i catch him and carry him around football style while i do whatever else i ahve to do... usually it's feeding the goats and donkey.... and then he has to walk the entire acre back to the coop.. he's not overly fond of that.. lol..
i've had to do this twice... and now that i'm looking at timing, it started happening about the time my first hen started laying...

like they said already.... just make sure he knows he's not the boss...
just like all the other males in your life... lol... <3

Back
Top Bottom