What is game bird feed?

The game bird grower is 28% but the breeder/layer formula is lower - I think mine is 22% but I'd have to check the tag be to sure. I feed the breeder formula to all my ducks and cochins and they are doing great, no angel wing and the feathers look beautiful.

Quote:
Totally disagree. Since I have quail I buy game bird feed and the ducks and quail both get the game bird feed. No instances of angel wing through 3 generations and counting, better feathering, larger size, and better meat from the game bird fed ducks. A friend and I just recently butchered a whole bunch of drakes, some from my birds and some from a friend who fed flock raiser. My birds were consistently larger, stronger, had better feather development, and richer meat. I will continue to use game bird feed with no reservation.

What name brand game bird feed do you use and what is the protein?

I know for a fact that the protein is too high for my ducks, so I have had to cut back on the protein. My ducks are very big and strong and I know the higher protein is the reason why but there are a few who have gotten angel wing because of it. I did an experiment on several different hatches where I fed the game bird feed to some and fed a lower protein feed to the others and the only group of ducks that got angel wing were the ones that ate the higher protein - game bird feed. And I have had about 130 ducklings this year. Go figure.
hu.gif

I will pull our labels and share them from the game bird we feed if it will help others, as well as the all flock. What we blend works well, great growth, great feathers, no angel wings, Sebastopol geese have no wing issues either. Will get them pulled when I fill feed bins this morning.

Shellie

How does the feed protein % relate to adding slugs and bugs to their diet? I think I read somewhere that snails are 51% protein, could that throw off feed % or do they generally not get enough insect to make a major impact on their diet?

Yes, game bird comes in pellets. It might be labeled for turkeys, try that. Pellets might be too large for some of the smaller game birds, but for sure, turkeys can eat them.

Ok, we feed all Nutrena NatureWise here

All flock: straight from their site

A complete, nutritious vegetarian diet all flock feed —no need for supplementation
18% protein and fortified with vitamins and minerals to support strong, healthy birds
Contains a proprietary blend of nutrients to naturally support the immune system and overall health of the bird
NO added antibiotics or hormones
Added marigold extract to improve skin coloration
Added prebiotics, probiotics and yeast culture that support digestion
Formulated for ease of feeding in flocks with multiple poultry species, including layers, broilers, turkeys, ducks, geese and pheasants
Designed for mixed flocks where all birds are older than 7 weeks
Pelleted form encourages feeding from the ground and helps reduce waste

Nutrient Level
Crude Protein 18.0%
Lysine 0.8%
Methionine 0.35%
Crude Fat 2.5%
Crude Fiber 6.0%
Calcium 1.4% - 1.9%
Phosphorus 0.6%
Salt 0.25% - 0.65%
Sodium 0.15% - 0.2%

here is the Game Bird starter label
802ea1ab.jpg

And the game bird grower label
4ecbe3cd.jpg

I will have to measure the mix tonight as I tend to do it by site. I will measure what my buckets hold and what the mix ratio is though and post it. I mix everything I. The brooder house then carry out and fill the feed pans, buckets and auto feeders all at once.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
So is this the Nutrena All Flock and can it be fed to ALL ages (babies 7 weeks old to adults)? That's not bad at all. So only about a couple of months of Starter feed for the babies then on the the All Flock. I will have to find if anyone feeds it in my area.

6612_all_flock.jpg

Back
Top Bottom