1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is getting all my ducks and turkeys?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mmaddentx, Nov 13, 2013.

1. mmaddentx

mmaddentx New Egg

Nov 13, 2013
    I have three pens with a 6ft talk fence. One one has turkey's, one has ducks and geese then the 3rd has chickens. A few weeks ago something got all 7 turkey's in one night. A week later it started getting the ducks. There is no sign of going under the fence or anything left. So it has to be going over the top. I did go around in the pasture and noticed some feathers up in a fork of a tree with blood. So looks like it climbs trees to eat it sometime, but once again it's all gone. Any ideas what may be getting them? Heard it could be a bobcat or mountain lion. Ideas or solutions?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] I'd guess bobcat - seems that a mountain lion would damage the fence noticeably when climbing over.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What kind of fence and where are you located?

Agree with some kind of cat, I think they typically will take prey up in a tree to eat, and it has to be something pretty big to take a turkey over a 6 foot fence.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I'd suspect a Coon before a cat of any type, but some electric fencing should help no matter what it may be

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by