What is going on here?

HollyParks

Chirping
Sep 30, 2023
Today is only day four in my new incubator, but I can see growth in my light eggs. The problem is the yolk and where the embryo is attaching.

I have the Farm Innovations 4250 with the egg turned (upright). I did a lot of research and decided to try it because I’m a SAHM currently so I can babysit the incubator.

I candled a few of my light eggs and it looks like the yolk is runny and the some of the embryos are attaching at the top? I haven’t seen this in my other eggs using side-turning incubators. What could cause these eggs to do this? They are my own eggs so I doubt they got “scrambled” like shipped eggs can. The air cell is still intact, but it seems more of an issue with the yolk.

My other eggs are too dark and too early to candle so I’m not sure if this entire clutch is screwed up. The breed is called Color Pack (legbar mix) from Jenks Hatchery.

Attachments

• 8DFF85FB-3188-4EDD-B8A1-049C33A218B5.jpeg
    8DFF85FB-3188-4EDD-B8A1-049C33A218B5.jpeg
    289.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I candled a few of my light eggs and it looks like the yolk is runny and the some of the embryos are attaching at the top? I haven’t seen this in my other eggs using side-turning incubators. What could cause these eggs to do this?
I don't know about the "runny" yolk part.

For the embryo:
When I have incubated eggs on their sides, the embryo was always on top of the yolk. If I turned the eggs, that put the embryo on the bottom-- but a bit later, it was on the top again.

I think there must be some mechanism (maybe gravity?) that makes the embryo end up on top.

I would be curious to see updates as incubation continues, but my best guess is that the embryo position will not be a problem.

I don't know about the "runny" yolk part.

For the embryo:
When I have incubated eggs on their sides, the embryo was always on top of the yolk. If I turned the eggs, that put the embryo on the bottom-- but a bit later, it was on the top again.

I think there must be some mechanism (maybe gravity?) that makes the embryo end up on top.

I would be curious to see updates as incubation continues, but my best guess is that the embryo position will not be a problem.
Okay, thank you. This is my first time incubating in an upright position. My other little incubators roll the eggs on their sides and so haven’t had a problem yet. The turner is working and every couple of days I’ve moved the eggs around the incubator to make sure they’re all getting equal exposure to warmer and cooler pockets. I’ll update here in a week or so.

Something seems off about it this incubator. The contents of the eggs seem like they’re sloshing. What would cause this?

Something seems off about it this incubator. The contents of the eggs seem like they’re sloshing. What would cause this?
Unfortunately, I really don't know.

I will be curious to see updates as incubation continues. If they grow well and hatch, that is a good sign that things were fine, even if they looked weird. If they do not grow well or do not hatch well, that could be a sign of something wrong, in which case looking back at your posts may help figure it out.

And someone else may know what is going on, and will probably comment if they notice this thread (but I don't know which person might know, so I can't tag them to draw their attention to it.)

Back
Top Bottom