What is going on in there?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smalltowngal, Aug 9, 2010.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Ok, we got our first egg 3 days ago and another 2 days ago then nothing yesterday. Well today I went out there and heard a bunch of squawking and the hen I suspected the eggs came from was sitting in the corner. I checked 30 min. later and she's still sitting there. I just went out expected and egg and she's walking around with no egg in site. Should I worry or is this normal?

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:It's totally normal. They lay it when they're ready to lay it. No worries. [​IMG]

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Well, I just went out there and the chickens had laid an egg. Unfortunately, I got attacked by our rooster again. I'm trying to catch him and hold him until he calms down but he seems to be getting worse. This time he was pecking me while I held him.

4. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    young rooster? Pick him up and hang him upside down until he's still then carry him if he pecks repeat then when he's quiet when you put him down hold him down until he quits struggling then when you go in there pick him up and hold him put him down and hold him down if he keeps being bad then he goes to freezer camp.....you just want to make sure he understands that you are the BOSS

edited for spelling

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  5. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I kinda liked the idea someone had about kneeling (sitting) over him like you were going to mate him.

6. amyrains

amyrains Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    camden
    [​IMG] it this for real? act like ur gonna mate him? THAT IS SOOOOOOOOOO FUNNY!!!!! i would pay good money to see that lol

7. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Quote:That would be the holding down on the ground until he submits part ... [​IMG] sorta like mating I guess

8. lacasitarojafarm

lacasitarojafarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Skagit Valley, WA
    [​IMG]
    Quote:That's hilarious.

9. lacasitarojafarm

lacasitarojafarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Skagit Valley, WA
    I had my Black Orpington rooster look at me really really seriously and make a beeline for me like he was going to attack me. He was met with my shoe. Twack! ...and we was a bit dizzy and walked it off and hasn't done it again.

10. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I tried stuff like that with one of our roosters. It worked, kind of. He gave me a wide birth, wouldn't come near me. He would challenge others if I wasn't right there though. This weekend he went at my little girl who was behind a fence at the time. She got some scratches on her hand, he got his neck wrung. Hopefully his hatch mate will be a nicer guy, he has been thus far. He didn't get any roughing up b/c he hasn't seemed to needed it yet. We'll see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by