What is going on with my Ameraucana?

5lovelyhens

Chirping
Mar 29, 2015
Today around noon I went outside and my Ameraucana, Lightning, was walking kind of slow. I went back out around 1:30 and she was in the nesting box. I went back out around 5:00 and she hadn't layed, was outide and she wasn't moving. Thinking she was egg bound, I gave her a bath. Then she pooped. Little pieces of poo came out, along with the white part of an egg. It was really sticky and she was having trouble getting it out. No shell pieces however. I took her to the vet, and he said that he thinks she is at the end of her laying cycle, so the eggs aren't being fully produced. So just the white part came out. She was acting a lot mellower than she usually does so he said she could be sick. Her temperature was fine though. He told me to keep her in a warm spot and monitor her intake. I don't think she has drank anything, but I'm pretty sure she ate a little. She was moving around a little more and flew out of the box and wandered around the garage standing on random things. (I think she was trying to find a place to roost.) Her poo is still a little sticky like there is egg in it, and she isn't pooing much. What do you guys think it is?

Her poo still looks a little eggy. When you shake it, it wiggles like Jell-O. It was bright green and white. I moved her back outside, and she's roosting and keeps closing her eyes. I hope shes just sleeping... Does anyone know what's going on?

She' was also doing that thing where she opens her mouth really wide and then closes it. It almost looks like a yawn.

Yeah, they said I could wait a day and come back today. They offered to give an injection or pills. I don't think I'd be able to get the pills down right, so might let him do the injection.

Yeah, they said I could wait a day and come back today. They offered to give an injection or pills. I don't think I'd be able to get the pills down right, so might let him do the injection.
Why can't you give a pill? If she were mine I would start her on antibiotics and tube feeding.

-Kathy

I don't know if I'd get it down the right hole. Okay, I'll do that. She's fluffed up on the roost right now and kinda tucked her head in and closed her eyes. Is she sleeping?

I don't know if I'd get it down the right hole. Okay, I'll do that. She's fluffed up on the roost right now and kinda tucked her head in and closed her eyes. Is she sleeping?
She's sick and really needs to be inside where it's warm. Call your vet and ask about tube feeding.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom