What is going on with my buff??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KarenP, Sep 5, 2011.

1. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    When i went outside to lock my flock up i thought my buff might be sick!! Her eyes were glossy and beak was a bit wet. I thought she may be sick. I let them out this morning and her behavior was fine, but i did notice some changes. Her comb and very small wattles seemed to be much more red than the day before, and she seemed to have a bit more red skin around her eyes. I don't know her exact age because i didn't raise her from birth. I would say she is about 15-20 weeks. Is this a sign of maturity or could she be getting sick??? Any opinions would be great!!

2. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    If you could post a pic. to give everybody a look see. But at your est. age and comb,wattles and eye rings are redder sounds like she is getting ready to lay.

3. KarenP

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    Thank you! I will try to get a pic of her today. She is a bit camera shy and if she's getting ready to lay i really don't want to stress her out by trying to catch her.

4. KarenP

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    These are the best pics of her i could take without stressing her out. Sorry about the nosey roo!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    She certainly doesnt look sick. But the comb and wattles are still a little on the pink side to be laying yet. But you can notice the subtle change as they do. From kind of whitish pink to pink,then darkpink/light red to red to ready red. One of my 3 Buffs layed her first 2 days ago and again this morn. I knew she was getting ready cuase she was red,her 2 hatch mates are still pinkish. At one point was concerned she might be a he. Going by the pics she looks about 16/17 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by