What is going on with my buff??

KarenP

Songster
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
Westport
When i went outside to lock my flock up i thought my buff might be sick!! Her eyes were glossy and beak was a bit wet. I thought she may be sick. I let them out this morning and her behavior was fine, but i did notice some changes. Her comb and very small wattles seemed to be much more red than the day before, and she seemed to have a bit more red skin around her eyes. I don't know her exact age because i didn't raise her from birth. I would say she is about 15-20 weeks. Is this a sign of maturity or could she be getting sick??? Any opinions would be great!!

If you could post a pic. to give everybody a look see. But at your est. age and comb,wattles and eye rings are redder sounds like she is getting ready to lay.

Thank you! I will try to get a pic of her today. She is a bit camera shy and if she's getting ready to lay i really don't want to stress her out by trying to catch her.

These are the best pics of her i could take without stressing her out. Sorry about the nosey roo!!!
102726_img_20110905_084047.jpg

102726_img_20110905_084036.jpg

102726_img_20110905_083948.jpg

102726_img_20110905_083913.jpg

She certainly doesnt look sick. But the comb and wattles are still a little on the pink side to be laying yet. But you can notice the subtle change as they do. From kind of whitish pink to pink,then darkpink/light red to red to ready red. One of my 3 Buffs layed her first 2 days ago and again this morn. I knew she was getting ready cuase she was red,her 2 hatch mates are still pinkish. At one point was concerned she might be a he. Going by the pics she looks about 16/17 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom