1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is going on with my crazy silkie?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BigDaddy'sGurl, May 10, 2011.

1. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    My silkie hen, NeeNee, went broody nearly 3 months ago. I happily gave her some eggs to hatch, and she did so. She raised 6 chicks and they are thriving! About a week and a half ago, she decided her job was done and wanted OUT of the broody cage and AWAY from the chicks. So, I put her back in the big girl coop and within 24 hours, she layed me a pretty little egg. She layed daily for 5 days and now, some 6 days later, NOTHING. She is not broody, eats well, dust bathes, is mite/lice/worm free, and has regained her place in the "pecking order". No eggs in almost a week...what is going on? Her coop-mates are still laying and they all eat free choice layer pellets, a handful of scratch a day and plenty of grass, weeds, and bugs. What gives and will she "fix" herself?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! Could she be hiding her eggs?

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Thanks for asking but no, she is in a covered run and there is nowhere to hide eggs. Her last egg was a little thin-shelled, but there has been no evidence of egg eating and the nesting box has lots of shavings so I would find some form of evidence and there just isn't any! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by