What is going on with my crazy silkie?

BigDaddy'sGurl

Songster
9 Years
Jul 14, 2010
Wilkesboro NC
My silkie hen, NeeNee, went broody nearly 3 months ago. I happily gave her some eggs to hatch, and she did so. She raised 6 chicks and they are thriving! About a week and a half ago, she decided her job was done and wanted OUT of the broody cage and AWAY from the chicks. So, I put her back in the big girl coop and within 24 hours, she layed me a pretty little egg. She layed daily for 5 days and now, some 6 days later, NOTHING. She is not broody, eats well, dust bathes, is mite/lice/worm free, and has regained her place in the "pecking order". No eggs in almost a week...what is going on? Her coop-mates are still laying and they all eat free choice layer pellets, a handful of scratch a day and plenty of grass, weeds, and bugs. What gives and will she "fix" herself?

Thanks for asking but no, she is in a covered run and there is nowhere to hide eggs. Her last egg was a little thin-shelled, but there has been no evidence of egg eating and the nesting box has lots of shavings so I would find some form of evidence and there just isn't any!
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom