What is going on with Penguin's mouth?

SolarDuck

Free Ranging
Jan 31, 2020
So I notice today penguin has been acting a little weird. I brought her inside and noticed a little bump on the bottom of her bill and I'm not sure what is happening. She's just kind of been laying around sleepy seeming all day. She just seems like she's been trying to sleep a lot.

She started making this squeak recently could it be related?? I feel the bump and it feels maybe a little bit swollen or something in there. I opened her mouth and took a look and I couldn't see anything in her mouth. Any help would be very appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210127_172125.jpg
    20210127_172125.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 7
Could it be related to her puking a few days ago?? She has pretty much just been bill tucked into back feathers for a few hours.

Attachments

• 20210127_172854.jpg
    20210127_172854.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 5
Its pretty soft it feels like it could have liquid in it. I offered her a cup of water and she took a little sip but I noticed a couple like strains of saliva on her breast after

A little out of reach, but if she tried swallowing some sort of bee, or wasp, and it stung her, that could explain the swelling, and possibly explain the squeaks as the swelling is interfering with how her syrinx produce noise. In that case, you could try dosing her with Benadryl, but you may just monitor her for now, and see how she does. There is something called Sublingual Impactions, the mainly occurs in swans, but is something to consider with her, however a SI, consists of grass, and other fibrous material, but you note the swelling being fairly watery, and you didn't see any matter inside her mouth, correct?

1611788429821.png

Back
Top Bottom