What is going on with this egg?

Sheriloo3

Songster
Aug 20, 2020
Ok folks. I've hatched a bunch of eggs over the last couple years and I've never seen this before. I set these eggs on 4/7 so they have about 5 days to go. These are eggs I've collected from my flock, many of which are first time layers, but I did let the first couple dozen go to the fridge, as I did not want to hatch first eggs. I have no idea which bird laid this one, who the daddy is, or anything. All I can guess is that it's either one of my silkies or another Bantam in my flock, as it is a smaller egg.

So, there is great vesseling, lots of movement, but some strange things happened over the last few days since I last candeled them.

As you can see, the air cell is suddenly quite large and on the side a bit. On the pointy end, there is a clear space, almost like another air cell, but it obviously not an air cell, as there is no definition to it, it just seems like the bird has not filled that void. However, I can see movement in there, almost like an internal pip, which makes me think the bird is at the wrong end for hatching.

It might be normal, but it just looks really weird to me.

Does this look normal? Should I be concerned?

The pics aren't great because of the light but I think you can get the basic idea. The first two are of the air cell and the second two are the pointy end. The divot is what looks like the beak to me, but it could just be a wing or something.

20210423_221004.jpg
20210423_221103.jpg
20210423_221037.jpg
20210423_221051.jpg

Just checking back in to see if anyone has any ideas? These eggs are set to lockdown tonight so I'm just getting an idea if I should be prepared for something odd, dead hatch, or if you think it's strange but normal!

Honestly, this is the first time I've posted and gotten no responses, very interesting....

Sorry you've had no responses. It looks like the air cell got split early on. I'm no expert though.

Can you see an internal pip, or has it hatched yet?

Sorry you've had no responses. It looks like the air cell got split early on. I'm no expert though.

Can you see an internal pip, or has it hatched yet?

No it actually ended up dying about a day later, before hatching. I suspect it was the yolk sack and the movement I saw in there was it being punctured. I could be totally wrong but that's what my guess is. Somehow the yolk sack got all the way over there and somehow the little guy poked into it. Bummer.

Back
Top Bottom