What is happening here?

The tricky part is getting them to use it though. My chickens refuse to dust bathe in any kind of sand. They'd rather dust bathe in wood chips :lol:
Wow! Really? I have never had an issue with them not preferring sand, but... in fairness, sand is their very first available dust bath. I introduce them to their first sand bath at about 3 weeks of age, just days before I start weening them to the great outdoors with loads and loads of places for them to duck behind, under, in and around to avoid the adults when needed, and I even have it so that they can get into their brooder but the adults cannot (for those that prefer the familiarity of 'home'.

Wow! Really? I have never had an issue with them not preferring sand, but... in fairness, sand is their very first available dust bath. I introduce them to their first sand bath at about 3 weeks of age, just days before I start weening them to the great outdoors with loads and loads of places for them to duck behind, under, in and around to avoid the adults when needed, and I even have it so that they can get into their brooder but the adults cannot (for those that prefer the familiarity of 'home'.
I use sand as bedding in the brooder, so mine have sand since the very beginning. They dust bathe in it just fine while in the brooder, but as soon as they go outside and find other options, they are done with the sand. Even if that means dust bathing in the wood chips on the run floor 😄 I have two generations of chickens, and all of them hate sand. I tried all kinds of tricks to lure them in. Built two different dust baths. Then I gave up and replaced the sand in one of the dust baths with peat moss and WOW the difference it made!!! They are addicted. Like cats with catnip. Peat moss is the stuff!

Back
Top Bottom