what is happening to my hen?

christophers

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 20, 2013
Ok, we were thinking maybe mareks disease, but im not sure.... one of our black jersey giants can not stand up. She is able to kick her feet, she seems to have great energy but isnt eating or drinking much. It seems that she may have been beaten up a lot a few days ago by other hens that made her loose all the feathers on her neck. Then she was walking funny for two days and got to a point where she just lays on her side, head perked up, unless I pick her up....then she kicks and throws her wings open. We had two other hens die recently but didnt see any of these symptoms, one was the weakest in the coop and the other was the most aggressive in the coop. It seems that she has lost her coordination in just her legs....any thoughts on what it could be?

Since your hen was hurt she may have suffered some brain or neurological problem. How old is she? There are a few ongoing Mareks threads that you can post your symptoms in, and maybe get an opinion. You might want to start her on some vitamins (especially B vitamins and vitamin E.) There are chicken vitamins for the water at the feedstore and PolyVisol baby vitamins can be given (2 drops daily.) Maybe some time spent in confinement will help her rest the legs, but I would keep her in a crate in the chicken coop or run with the others for company.

She is a year and 5 months approx. We will put her down today bc she isnt eating or drinking and will watch the others for mareks disease. Vitamins may be something we will start givibg our other hens one is not sleeping on the roost so worried about mareks once again with her. Thank you for input

Back
Top Bottom