What is he/she doing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 3LilBirds, Mar 2, 2012.

1. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

For some reason my crazy little chick, Cinnamon loves to do this whenever I put him/her on this microfiber wash cloth. Does Cinnamon think he/she is bathing? lol

2. sandrameissnest

sandrameissnest Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    LOL, it does look funny.... i guess she likes it ;)

3. FeatherPainter

FeatherPainter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northern New York
    She is taking a bath, she'll be even funnier when you give her dirt or sand to take a real bath.

4. ShelleyN

ShelleyN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    Denver, CO
    That's the dirt bath dance.

5. 3LilBirds

OOooh thank you. :) I had a feeling that's what it might have been! When can I give them a real dirt bath?

6. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    From what I read, you can do it pretty much from the beginning. There are a few people that believe if you give them dirt from your own run, then they'll grow up with the immunities of whatever might be in your dirt. I'm not saying this from experience, but a friend of mine has newborn hatches (they are about 5 days old now) and she gives them a litter box with some wheat grass and dirt in it for a couple hours a day and they pick at it and dust bath right from the beginning.

Edited to say that the video was so adorable, I had to watch it a few times, then make sure my DH watched it! :)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  7. 3LilBirds

Thank you! I'll have to give it a try. Cinnamon is very much a character! Loves to be held and rubbed on the chest and neck. I still haven't a clue if Cinnamon is a she or he yet. One of these days I'll figure it out! lol

8. LuvinChickens

LuvinChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    Northern, CA
    That's so cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by