what is he?

I didn't realize that Meyer sells Olive Eggers and I didn't see those feathers on the head at first glance. Good catch on that! Me, I know nothing about Cream Legbars, just never had any interest, and I didn't know hatcheries were purposefully selling crosses other than the usual sex links now. Hmm, will have to check the hatchery lists now to see what's new.
Yeah, this is making things interesting on this board now! Used to be, if the bird came from a hatchery, you could puzzle out what it was supposed to be, at least. But now Meyer is doing these Olive eggers, and someone (maybe Meyer, not sure) is selling what they call Favorcauna (Faverolle/Ameraucana mix). Not sure what other mixed there are. Oh, and then you have things like the Dixie Rainbows and Pioneers, that are basically mixed breed birds...makes it harder to ID hatchery birds.

Yeah, this is making things interesting on this board now! Used to be, if the bird came from a hatchery, you could puzzle out what it was supposed to be, at least. But now Meyer is doing these Olive eggers, and someone (maybe Meyer, not sure) is selling what they call Favorcauna (Faverolle/Ameraucana mix). Not sure what other mixed there are. Oh, and then you have things like the Dixie Rainbows and Pioneers, that are basically mixed breed birds...makes it harder to ID hatchery birds.

Well, doesn't that just muddy the waters! I can make my own mixed breeds, thank you very much!
roll.png
Good grief. Anyone want a lovely DelaRock???? I make those all the time. No hatchery needed, LOL.

Last edited:
You just need to get a good marketing person going on them, and contact My Pet Chicken (that's who has the Faveracaunas) to get them on the menu
big_smile.png
. I always liked your Delaweggers, myself. Besides, that's just fun to say. Delaweggers
gig.gif

Yeah, I can see the appeal of making olive eggers simply because I like having a diverse egg basket, but the Favaucanas bug me. Really. It's almost as bad as the designer dog breed fad. If I'm paying that much for a chick (or a dog!) it had better at least be pure, even if it isn't the highest quality!

ETA: Am I seeing that right? They want $20 a pop for those Favaucanas?!

Last edited:
You just need to get a good marketing person going on them, and contact My Pet Chicken (that's who has the Faveracaunas) to get them on the menu
big_smile.png
. I always liked your Delaweggers, myself. Besides, that's just fun to say. Delaweggers
gig.gif
Hahaha, thanks! I also love my Delaweggers! They are the best of both worlds, super fun birds.
big_smile.png

Yeah, I can see the appeal of making olive eggers simply because I like having a diverse egg basket, but the Favaucanas bug me. Really. It's almost as bad as the designer dog breed fad. If I'm paying that much for a chick (or a dog!) it had better at least be pure, even if it isn't the highest quality!

ETA: Am I seeing that right? They want $20 a pop for those Favaucanas?!

I agree with you, overcharging for some mutt bird like that. Geez. They can't get the pure breeds right so they just give up and make designer chickens. I've created a few of those, but I don't charge the high prices for my Delaweggers, DelaRocks and Coch'Anvers. I mean anyone can cross breeds in their own backyard. They're also charging $17 each for BBS Orpington chicks and I think over $30 each for Lavender Orp chicks, straight run. Add $2-3 ea for pullets only.

I think maybe we'd better rant on another thread so we don't upset the OP, though.
hide.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, Meyer has a few overpriced chicks and I'm not sure why those in particular are so expensive when you can get higher quality individuals for half the price or less! Their Legbars are around a whopping $50 a piece! I wanted one so bad, I ended up finding a breeder nearby--and I got my pullet for $15!

But yeah, probably should reserve the rantings for another thread. :oops: OP, best of luck with your handsome young cockerel! :)

Back
Top Bottom