What is in a name? Peafowl naming inspiration!

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
Alright, first some background info on a "thing" of mine. I like to put quite a bit of emphasis on names. Names are important to me. I know it sounds weird, but I can be weird about certain things. I enjoy "different" names, very rarely will you see me name a dog Buddy, Fido, Max, etc. I worked in a vet office for over a year and the same names get monotonous after a while. I love names with meaning behind them or a story. I like names that deal with mythology or old stories. I know, I'm sounding weirder by the minute.

Well, my delima is that I have a "special" peafowl hatching tomorrow. It was the only egg to develop thus far and it will be my very first peafowl. I put a TON of consideration into naming my "special" animals. No, I don't research and name every chook in the flock, but the special ones get good names. Sometimes the names just come out and they name themselves, like an old rooster I ate that I called Hateful one day and it just stuck. But other times, like when I named our German Shepherd I like to know the meanings behind the names. Our German Shepherds original name was Max, after a few days of hard looking and reading his name was changed to Axel, which stems from Alexander.

This peafowl will be my first peafowl. It will be a India Blue. And if it survives it will most likely be quite dear to me(aren't all our first's). He will be hatching alone as all the other eggs died.

Give me some names, and the meaning or stories behind them and why you think they would fit.

LOL
lol.png
Thanks everyone, this should get fun..

-Kim

Last edited:
Gee, I'm horrible at names - I usually come up with something really witty like 'Buffy' for the buff chicken or Ms White for the white one. Oh, let's not forget "Ms Splash". Guess what color she is??
roll.png

Maybe I'll get some inspiration on what to name my own peafowl - we've had them months now and I just call them 'lady' and 'buddy' when I go out in their pen.

I'll have to look up how to pronounce that one, but that's fine.
big_smile.png

Thanks!

LOL---> Mrs. Splash..

-Kim

Gosh, I know what you mean, any special bird of mine takes like weeks to properly name since I gotta get a feel for character etc first and then research forever and ever.

My First peahen(who I still have) is named "Aurica" - which is Arabic and means "Golden child/ Sweetheart". She is most beloved pet, leash trained and just fun to have around.

I will go and look for my naming list, I have a list with at least 30 different names in different languages all with meaning etc. Just gotta go find it....

You could name her/him Indie or Indy...there are 3 wild species ...The Indian, the Green and the Congo..The Indian and the Green are the most vibrant colors....

My peacock is named Pavel after Pavel Kubina, a hockey player. The peahens are Penelope and Pocahontas. How can you name a p-fowl anything but a P-name?

Quote:
I'm glad I am not the only one! LOL

I love your peahen's name! Please share the list once you've found it.

I was afraid I was the only one who "worried" about finding the "right" name.
roll.png

-Kim

I really appreciate this everyone.

I thought that's how Gaia was pronounced, I just wanted to be sure. You know how sometimes letters don't sound the same in other languages and I wanted to be sure that wasn't the case.

Pavel, Penelope, and Pocahontas, the peafowl. LOL. That's quite a bit of P's. LOL

Am I the only one that hears/reads Indie/Indy and immediately thinks of Indian Jones? LOL Maybe it's just because I watched the latest movie.
lol.png

-Kim

Back
Top Bottom