What is in a Red Rock cross? How do I duplicate it???

New Hatcher

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 21, 2010
Central Alberta Canada
So I have just started in the chicken thing. I have found my breed of choice for myself but my DH wants a breed for him too. He really liked the Red Rock cross chicks we ordered from the local hatchery three years ago and would like to get more. I on the other hand love incubating ( even though I'm only on my second hatch) and would really like to breed and hatch his birds for him. Is there such a thing as a pure bred red rock?? From the wright up in the hatchery book it says a lot about things looking like Barred Rocks or being the same size as a Barred Rock would this be something I could breed back to the old hens? or new ones if he gets some? It just so happens that I have a barred rock roo right now he was going to find a new home ( he's mean) but I could keep him around a little longer. Is this the way to go or should I try something else like ordering a mix batch and only keeping one roo?? Is the cross a hatchery secret?
hu.gif

Last edited:
There is not red color in Plymouth Rock breed.First time I hear Red Rock cross.There is cross of Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock-they are black chickens with golden- red spots.Hatcherys call them Black sex links.What color were your chickens?

The hens are Black with red /gold feathers running down the chest. I will try to get a photo up when I can I don't know if I'm aloud give a link to the hatchery I ordered from if I can't please someone let me know and I'll edit this post.......www.rochesterhatchery.com if you look under egg layers or even duel purpose birds and you'll find the write up for the Red Rock Cross I don't think they have a photo up though.

The Red Rock you are referring to is called a Rock Red by Marti Hatchery. Same chicken with different names. It is a crossbred of a red rooster (Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire) over Barred Rock hens. Awesome layers.

So if I was to breed this do I have to have the red roo over the barred rock hens or can I go barred rock roo over RIR hen ( I have the hens already and only 2 years old)? If not would it work to just order the mix from the hatchery and breed cross to cross will that work? I have know idea how to use a calculator thing so I have to ask silly questions
hmm.png

Wow!!!!
idunno.gif
and I thought this was going to be easy just throw this roster with this hen and it should be game on bang you get what your hoping for
clap.gif
guess not LOL so I take it it wont work to get the crossed roo with the crossed hen then?

Look, the reason that you need the hen & roo to be this way is because is produces a sex-linked bird. You can tell which are pullets & which are cockerels from their color as they hatch.

If you are just looking for good egg layers & you don't mind having to wait to sex the chicks (as most will be barred) you can put your barred roo on your red hens.

oh thats what sex-linked means. We'll in the end that is what my DH wants good layers of nice brown eggs. I guess we'll try things and see I have the Barred roo over Red Rock and over RIR in the bator right now so it will be only 19 more days. I just hope I get some out of that dozen.
Thanks all;)

Back
Top Bottom