What is in your veggie garden?

What is in your veggie garden?

Last year it was Weeds, gophers, white fly's, cucumber beetles and a large water bill.....It was a new house for my wife and I so it was more of a test. The soil really lacked nutrients which put the veggies at a disadvantage. The insect control also plagued the garden along with a couple of gophers that loved cantaloupe...I live in So Cal so winters are not harsh. We had three days of freeze last November but that was about it.

I live on 1 acre zoned horse property in a semi rural area..Yep, it takes us a whole 15 minutes to drive to home depot..LOL We have dairies and farmed land near us. Last year I started composting a neighbors horse manure and worked on putting a drip water system in. I expanded my growing area as well. The compost was ready in Feb and I started working it in the soil.

This year I have... or should I say the spring season, I have pole beans, potatoes, onions, bush beans, three varieties of tomatoes, three varieties of bell peppers, kale, pak choi, egg plant, beets, lemon squash, zucchini, two varieties of cantaloupe, two varieties of watermelon, Corn, Artichokes, banana peppers, Jalapeno peppers, and habanero peppers. I started planting the first of March and was done the second week. I am about ready to harvest the corn and put in another crop. We have been harvesting everything. The pak choi and kale bolted so I let it do its thing and I have seeds for the fall / winter crop.

The water bill is down, the gophers are gone, weeds and the insects are under control.Compost pile continues to grow..I am starting to plan our fall crop :) which will includes a 10 x 4 raised bed project for a strawberry patch in the spring. Things continue to improve. Oh, and currently building a chicken coop. I have ten 2 week old buff orpingtons. Next years project may include a aquaculture system to raise tilapia...Not 100% sure though..

Our 1st/early garden was:
green beans
cucumbers
bell, banana & jalapeno peppers
lettuce (various types)
corn (3 varieties)
tomatoes (6 varieties)
celery
carrots
kale
zucchini
yellow squash
buttercup, acorn, spaghetti squash
radish
snow peas
English peas
broccoli
swiss chard
cantaloupe
watermelon (sugar babies, yum!)
potatoes (red & white)
herbs (8 varieties)

For our current garden we've started several of the same as the early but added:
patty pan squash
pumpkin (not doing great)
watermelon (bigger variety)
tomatillo
Serrano peppers
poblano peppers
more herbs

We love trying new things in the garden. This summer I had my first "bout" with canning and while a lot of work, we will enjoy the goodies this winter!

I try to plant as many heirloom varieties as possible. This year, for our first year in our new home, I'm growing:
2 types of lettuce
radishes
2 types of carrots
beets
spinach
mixed chard
kale
cauliflower
broccoli
cabbage
green and yellow onions
red and yukon gold potatoes
5 types of tomatoes
blue jade corn (my favorite!)
eggplant
bell peppers
zucchini
yellow squash
acorn squash
spaghetti squash
a musk melon
a watermelon
an artichoke as an experiment
herbs: basil, cinnamon basil, parsley, cilantro
and sunflowers for the chickens!

So far the radishes didn't grow well. That's a first, usually radishes are so easy. I think maybe not enough sun. The soil is clayish and alkaline- I'll try to remedy that a bit next year.
Lots of broccoli- yummy! Tomatoes are well on their way and we've had several zucchinis, lettuce, spinach, chard, kale. Next year, can't wait to start beds for asparagus, blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries.

I just love it!

Last edited:
I try to plant as many heirloom varieties as possible.  This year, for our first year in our new home, I'm growing:
2 types of lettuce
radishes
2 types of carrots
beets
spinach
mixed chard
kale
cauliflower
broccoli
cabbage
green and yellow onions
red and yukon gold potatoes
5 types of tomatoes
blue jade corn (my favorite!)
eggplant
bell peppers
zucchini
yellow squash
acorn squash
spaghetti squash
a musk melon
a watermelon
an artichoke as an experiment
herbs:  basil, cinnamon basil, parsley, cilantro
and sunflowers for the chickens!

So far the radishes didn't grow well.  That's a first, usually radishes are so easy.  I think maybe not enough sun.  The soil is clayish and alkaline- I'll try to remedy that a bit next year.
Lots of broccoli- yummy!  Tomatoes are well on their way and we've had several zucchinis, lettuce, spinach, chard, kale.  Next year, can't wait to start beds for asparagus, blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries.

I just love it!

I'm loving the heirloom varieties we planted! The beans and squash are going crazy and corn is almost ready! :)

Back
Top Bottom