What is it called when...

tracylhl

Songster
10 Years
May 20, 2009
Myakka City, Florida
you only have hens and no rooster? Someone asked me today if I have a rooster or if my hens lay "layena". She said she thought she might be spelling it wrong. My only rooster died, so I guess that whatever she's referring to is indeed what I'm doing!
lol.png
I just have no idea what the word is. I tried to search with Google but all I got was a feed company name.

A group of chickens with or with out a Roo is still called a Flock. I don't think it called any different. Layena is the brand name for the Layer formula feed from Purina Mills

Quote:
See, that's what I thought. I found the layer formula online when I searched. This lady seemed quite sure of herself but I think she's just confused. I'll just answer her e-mail by telling her there's no rooster and assume that there is no new vocabulary word to learn!
big_smile.png

LOL
smile.png
...we have 4 hens and NO rooster...they are fine after a year; we got them as 3 day old chicks.

Usually we get anywhere from 2 - 4 eggs a day from them , all well shelled and vibrant yolks...YUM!

They get Wendland's egg layer feed, as well as greens from the yard and leftover parrot food, which includes homemade parrot bread.

"Independent hens of the world"
tongue2.gif

My girls are perfectly happy with no rooster..... other than they do the rooster squat when I approach.... they get a rub and are happy to have a shake and wander off!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom