What is it? Pls help!

Shoptopodi

Songster
May 17, 2018
Last couple of days I'm noticing these tiny bugs are flying all over my chickens. Seems to just flying around them, sitting on them, nothing more! How can i get rid of these? My chickens are free ranging. I am adding some pics if it helps. Pls help! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20200427_152050.jpg
    20200427_152050.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200427_151838.jpg
    20200427_151838.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200427_152030.jpg
    20200427_152030.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 5
I don't know what kind they are, but they might be laying eggs in your chickens. If I were you i would take some fly powder and sprinkle it around their nesting boxes, roosting poles, and coop. I would also keep a close eye on the chicken 's and make sure they have no sores, or anything like that on them, also keep an eye out for larvae. I would also recomend making sure the chickens don't have droppings on them, as that would attract a lot of flies. I would also make sure they have acess to places where they can dust bath. Good luck!!!

So I've been doing research to try to find out they are, (I have a lot of free time) and I think they might be black flies. Here is what I found out about them: their bite can inject toxins which could kill your chickens, they bite chickens in the first place because they need the nourishment for their developing eggs, your chickens could bleed a lot after they are bitten, they could also suffocate your chickens, by getting into their airways, and they could give your chickens disease. They are most active in the day especially, after dawn, and before dusk. I hope you do not have them but if you do you could get some fly powder, or you could place fans in certain areas the chickens go most, because the flies do not like moving air. Good luck, hope this will help!

what i know as a black fly is much smaller, we also call them no-see-ums. A black fly is about the size of a fruit fly.
These very small flys are the pests that hover around your face and try to dive bomb into your eyes. They also bite you around the hairline of hour neck or around your ears. You dont know you are bitten until you scratch and get a handful of blood.
Your photo shows a fly 20 times bigger than a black fly. I think its called a hover fly.
The horse and stall spray may get rid of it.

Last couple of days I'm noticing these tiny bugs are flying all over my chickens. Seems to just flying around them, sitting on them, nothing more! How can i get rid of these? My chickens are free ranging. I am adding some pics if it helps. Pls help! Thanks in advance!
It looks like it’s just flys I would recommend cleaning the cage more often and giving them more baths, but if the flys don’t bother them I wouldn’t be to worried

what i know as a black fly is much smaller, we also call them no-see-ums. A black fly is about the size of a fruit fly.
These very small flys are the pests that hover around your face and try to dive bomb into your eyes. They also bite you around the hairline of hour neck or around your ears. You dont know you are bitten until you scratch and get a handful of blood.
Your photo shows a fly 20 times bigger than a black fly. I think its called a hover fly.
The horse and stall spray may get rid of it.
Actually black flies are bigger than fruit flies. We had some property and they would hatch near our creek. When they bite it is painful.
They look like black flies to me. And I would bet they are biting ur chickens, not just landing on them.

Actually black flies are bigger than fruit flies. We had some property and they would hatch near our creek. When they bite it is painful.
They look like black flies to me. And I would bet they are biting ur chickens, not just landing on them.
I've checked couple of my chickens and see no blood or biting, their skin is clean. But I'll use some fly powder and spray if needed. Thanks

I have checked couple of chickens and their skin is clean, no blood or wound or anything. But I'll use the fly powder and spray if needed. Thanks everyone for replying.

Back
Top Bottom