What is it?

India blue pied x blackshoulder all chicks will be India blue split blackshoulder and pied.
None of the chicks will be pied on this cross. breed the offspring together and you will get India blue, Blackshoulder some will be split pied some not India blue pied, Blackshoulder pied and whites

Yes it is more or less just chance for white in the tail. Want to add, you want chicks with a white spot that is either located on or goes out very close to the "real tail"(rump area). Pieds with white limited to area between shoulders are not rare.. those as chicks have a white spot close to the neck only. Basically what you see is what you get, even on day old chicks.

Pied black shoulders are out there, just not as common as blue pied. For your project of crossing pied with BS hen, suggest saving chicks without white feathers and those with white feathers in flights. Supposedly split pied normally don't show any white feathers and split white normally show some white in the flights plus maybe on chin also. So, saving and breeding only the chicks with white may be saving only the split whites... won't get pied out of that.

Thanks everybody for the help. I will print the topic out so when I get to the second generation I will remember what I need to look for and do.

Irene

Back
Top Bottom