What is it?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TheGirls & Larry, Dec 2, 2011.

1. TheGirls & Larry

TheGirls & Larry New Egg

Dec 2, 2011
    I have chickens (silver-laced wyandotte) that have been very regular about laying up until a few months ago. I determined my first problem was a snake as the eggs were gone, including the shell, but no chicken missing. Also, there was yolk on one of the fake eggs I put in for a deterrence. One of the fake eggs came up missing but none after that. A couple of times I noticed the hens were more anxious than normal and they didn't want to go to their regular nests. I made new nests in a slightly different location and put eggs in it. Since it's gotten colder, the introduced eggs have stayed where I put them and none have come up missing yet.

The weather has since gotten too cold for snakes so I set out a live animal trap, rat trap and a mouse trap. Except for the rat trap, the bait has gone undisturbed. I think the mice ate the bait from the rat trap and were too light to trigger it.

I feed and water my chickens as I always have and before now have not had a problem like this. They get a laying mixture from the feed store, corn, milo and crushed, baked chicken shells. I augment this with whatever vegetable matter I have left over in the kitchen. They recently molted but this problem started much earlier than their molt. They seem to be contented and comfortable. No anxiety now.

Any suggestions?

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    If you were still getting mystery visits, I would set a game cam....it very well could have been a snake...but if he ate a fake egg, chances are he took care of himself and won't be around anymore [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by