what is jiggers/giggers?? The vet said my chook has it.

I even checked the Merck veterinary manual...nothing there relating to that term. You might want to call or check back with him or one of his assistants for further explanation.
Chiggers live in a small number of places, I believe they dint like cold and prefer hotter climates Like Florida, Georgia, Etc. I don't think they are in the Merck because they live in suck limited areas, unlike lice and ticks that can be found almost everyplace.

Riki

Oh, and unlike regular roaches that scatter when you turn on the light, the three inch flying roaches either stand their ground or they come after you. There is nothing like walking into the bathroom in the middle of the night, still mostly asleep, only to turn on the light and see a giant pi##ed off roach glaring at you, puffing up and Hissing..

Chiggers live in a small number of places, I believe they dint like cold and prefer hotter climates Like Florida, Georgia, Etc. I don't think they are in the Merck because they live in suck limited areas, unlike lice and ticks that can be found almost everyplace.

Riki

Oh, and unlike regular roaches that scatter when you turn on the light, the three inch flying roaches either stand their ground or they come after you. There is nothing like walking into the bathroom in the middle of the night, still mostly asleep, only to turn on the light and see a giant pi##ed off roach glaring at you, puffing up and Hissing..
Riki. What I was referring to in the Merck vet manual were the words "jiggers or giggers," for the OP. My fault for not mentioning that bit of info. However, "chiggers" are in the Merck vet manual.
http://www.chiggaway.com/ChiggerCountry.htm

Last edited:
heya everyone im so happy to say that flossy has made a full recovery shesbback to her cheeky little self and is first in the back door for her treats in the morning.
big_smile.png
Thank god as i was becoming deydrated from crying looking at her being misserable ha.

unfortunately though i am still in the dark as to what giggers is or was supposed to be i contacted the vet twice to which the secretary answered and told me she would get him to call me back.....but that phonecal never came .

i wont give up though i will call and call until he tlls me ha its just so perculiar hiw no one in ireland or al the way accross the pond has ever heard of it. i will let you all know when i find out.

thank you so much for all yer input and advice realy apprciate it.

heya everyone im so happy to say that flossy has made a full recovery shesbback to her cheeky little self and is first in the back door for her treats in the morning.
big_smile.png
Thank god as i was becoming deydrated from crying looking at her being misserable ha.

unfortunately though i am still in the dark as to what giggers is or was supposed to be i contacted the vet twice to which the secretary answered and told me she would get him to call me back.....but that phonecal never came .

i wont give up though i will call and call until he tlls me ha its just so perculiar hiw no one in ireland or al the way accross the pond has ever heard of it. i will let you all know when i find out.

thank you so much for all yer input and advice realy apprciate it.

First, change vets. That's just unacceptable.

Second - I grew up in East Texas - and we had chiggers too. I'm itching just thinking about them! And - OMG - those gawdawful HUGE roaches! My mother used to say she didn't know if I was being attacked by someone or had seen a roach. I can stand a lot of things, but not roaches.

I am wondering if the coconut oil thing might work on chiggers? Nasty critters.

But, why would a vet give antibiotics for a pest? And she said it had something to do with the hen laying soft eggs, so I doubt chiggers/fleas/whatever.

I think the vet used some over-the-pond slang term we'd have to clarify.

But, why would a vet give antibiotics for a pest? And she said it had something to do with the hen laying soft eggs, so I doubt chiggers/fleas/whatever.

I think the vet used some over-the-pond slang term we'd have to clarify.

I think what bother's me most is that the vet didn't take ANY time to explain what it is! I do not give any doctor the opportunity to leave a room without explanation. Had an actual "got in his face" argument with my internist last week about his lack of attention to his patients and am taking steps to find a new one. I understand time constraints, but this better-than-thou attitude really torques me.

There is something called a jigger - but it's in Africa and has to be physically removed. (Google search)

Here's a site where they call chiggers and jiggers the same thing http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclien....,cf.osb&fp=5c7e5ae966ea494d&biw=1366&bih=622

Allll this being said - here's a site on how chiggers really "work" - news to me, but educational! After reading this, I'm guessing the antibiotics are for a probably secondary infection.
http://pediatrics.about.com/od/dermatologytopics/a/06_chiggers.htm

hey everyone i got onto him again and basically he said its not jiggers as in the creepy crawly thing. he basically said its a stomach bug that causes a temperature and supresses apetite, i asked if he had a medical term for it and he said no he has always referred to it as jiggers infection. Now personaly i think that this vet only chanced his arm with whatever he perscribed flossy and he just gave us something to make us feel better. I know i sound harsh but i am still not happy with the explanation he gave me. unfortunately for us he is the only vet in our town that will deal with chickens grrrr
hmm.png

Stomach bug?? Chickens don't have digestive upsets like humans do. If they have diarrhea, there is an underlying cause that is not digestive. Honestly, my opinion is that he's full of chicken poop, sorry. He has no idea what's wrong with her. That sounds like something he just made up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom