What is killing my chicks??

I have a 9 month old silkie rooster in there with the silkie and cochin hens (3 months old).
Tonight I plan to sit out at the pen and try to catch whatever it is.
No known weasils in this area. Have kept chickens for 9 years and have never had this problem.
I tend to think rat. Never heard of weasils in my area but that doesn't mean they're not here.
Rats can fit through areas about the size of a quarter, so that’s also very likely.

I hate predators :rolleyes: I lost about 16 in three nights to a fox

Are the chicks together with the roo and the hens or what is the placement of the chicks
All are in the pen together but there has been no aggression. They get along fine as far as I can see. He tucked them in tonight and went to take his sleeping spot.
Rats can fit through areas about the size of a quarter, so that’s also very likely.

I hate predators :rolleyes: I lost about 16 in three nights to a fox
I'm sitting in my car 10 ft from the pen waiting for the sorry critter to show up tonight. I hate predators as well.

Crossing my fingers that you get it 🤞
Well, it's a skunk. I sat all night and it finally showed up at 4 am. My husband had joined me at 1 am so when I heard the chicks I punched him. He ran into the pen with the flashlight. It had the chicks cornered but ran when he came in. He chased it through the field with the gun . It ran under the tractor and he lost it. I have a big day planned for that skunk tomorrow. So glad the chicks are OK and that my husband didn't get skunked. By the way, the rooster slept through the whole thing.

Back
Top Bottom