What is killing my ducks?

feather12

Hatching
Sep 30, 2021
Hi, I hatched 5 eggs earlier this year. Ducks have been doing great and were pretty much free range around our land.
Last week we lost a duck, lots of feathers but no sign of the carcass of the duck. Then this week we lost another. This time we found the duck in the pond with marks all round its neck, rest of body was ok.

We live on a small Scottish island where our predators are only otters and birds of prey. My first thought was a large bird but then finding the other one today makes me think maybe otter? Any ideas would be great. Thanks

I think you're probably right, unless you have fox as well, I'd say it's between the predatory Birds and the otters. I'm not sure what to do about them except confining the ducks to their own fenced and covered area.

:welcome :frow So sorry for your loss. When you free range sad to say it is a risk you take. Lessons learned the hard way. If you have a camera put it up and then you will know for sure what is lurking. I love my cameras. My birds all stay in their nice large covered pens. There are ways to entertain them in pens. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom