What is maximum capacity of 56-egg incubator?

also is the really any capacity increase with eggs on the side + space needed or roll them vs pointy end down in the turner?
I read a book years ago that mentioned filling the space completely, then lifting a few eggs out (temporarily) at each turning. That gave enough space to roll the other eggs around, then the ones that had been lifted out went back in (on their other sides, of course.)

That book did recommend marking two sides of each egg, to be sure that each egg got turned all the way over.

with eggs on the side it will unlikely double the capacity (which is the goal) vs. egg turner with vertical egg positioning. Thus the idea of no egg turner, still vertical egg positioning, and no turning.
I gotcha, my styrofoams are 42 egg turners so without the turner I can get 55+ eggs in there on their sides. Best of luck on your hatch 🤟

filling the space completely, then lifting a few eggs out (temporarily) at each turning. That gave enough space to roll the other eggs around, then the ones that had been lifted out went back in (on their other sides, of course.)
great idea, would also allow to rotate eggs through incubator (pick out them on the right side, put them back on the left side)
I gotcha, my styrofoams are 42 egg turners so without the turner I can get 55+ eggs in there on their sides. Best of luck on your hatch 🤟
do you get 55 in it tightly packed (as per NatJ) or with space necessary for turning (rolling)?

great idea, would also allow to rotate eggs through incubator (pick out them on the right side, put them back on the left side)

do you get 55 in it tightly packed (as per NatJ) or with space necessary for turning (rolling)?
I get 55 with it not being tight, if I fit them tight I probably coulsd get closer to 65. If I turned them vertically like you said then I could fit even more.

I have overpacked them and had to remove a handful so I could roll them around easily, but that was too much hassle for me and my hatch rate was worse that hatch. I keep 4 styrofoams going at a time so I have plenty hatching every week and dont try to cram them in there any more.

If one is inclined to fiddle with an incubator like this, maybe one could use the top of the machine (with all the brains and heater and stuff in it) and put it onto any old cabinet-box-thing that is big enough for all your eggs, that you can seal up. If you're going to be hand-turning them anyway.

Back
Top Bottom