What is my olive egger a mix of?

Unfortunately yes. A true F1 cross should yield 100% olive eggs (providing the blue layer has two copies of the blue gene), but when you use a bird with unknown genetics such as a EE there is a greater chance you will end up with brown eggs

Unfortunately yes. A true F1 cross should yield 100% olive eggs (providing the blue layer has two copies of the blue gene), but when you use a bird with unknown genetics such as a EE there is a greater chance you will end up with brown eggs
Thank you for all of this information! It honestly was so so insightful!
I love my gal regardless but it’s good to know she may not lay olive eggs. 🤗

You were Right! She she just laid an egg on me and it’s speckled dark brown. I hope they stay this way but I know they can change/lighten up/lose speckles.

Attachments

• 58860016-47D8-4470-80C5-E443C33D8976.jpeg
    58860016-47D8-4470-80C5-E443C33D8976.jpeg
    333 KB · Views: 8
This is Hoagie Elizabeth Wizwit.
Hatchery information said “Our Olive eggers are f1, meaning first generation, and are bred from Black Copper Marans, Welsummers and Ameraucanas.”

I’m thinking she’s Black Cooper Maran (brown tones on her neck feathers) and Ameraucana (her lovely beard and muffs).

Does that sound right?
I have bred my own olive eggers from different parents. The ones I bred from a BCM mother ALL had feathered legs. The ones that had welsummer mothers looked like wellsummers even to being able to be sexed as chicks like welsummers. The one I have now, if you didn't see the olive egg she lays you would think she was a welsummer Her comb is slightly smaller though.

Back
Top Bottom