What is my Polish?

by any chance do you have a garage? i set up my roos in a nice, insulated/soundproofed area in the garage and my neighbors hardly hear them! they have been fine with them and even think most of them have been cute when they see them outside when i get home from work in the afternoon! i have a polish boy too that gets a lot of attention from people when they see he is so friendly with them! follows me around and only crows when i am not in his sight! (he has a very poor looking crest)
this is Chickie, my first chicken i hatched almost 2 years ago!
25630_debs_127.jpg

btw, there is a story about a polish hen that actually crows so you might be able to get away with keeping one roo and just tell them it is a crowing hen!
lol.png

I'm actually very surprised my neighbors have not said a thing yet about my roosters… Crossing my fingers.
fl.gif
I have two silkies that I really want to keep along with this guy and they are soooo obnoxious. You'd think every egg that is laid they did it personally. They crow and go on and on and strut around… It is quite a sight.
lau.gif

I can't believe that my neighbors don't hear it but it's been six months with no complaints… I'm thinking about starting to take over eggs now that I get at least 4 a day and bribing them to shhhh. I am on a half acre lot but it is still in the city so I'm an outlaw.
smile.png
I have no back neighbors to deal with as it is just an open field so I'm really only worried about my one side neighbors.

My Two other roos
53071_dsc_0018.jpg

53071_dsc_0016.jpg

Thanks for all of your help!!

It's a rooster. In my experience with hatchery stock, bearded and non-bearded, the hens usually have rounded topknots, and the roosters are more spikey, altough there are a few hens that go through spells of looking spikey but usually round out. Now I'm saying in my experience.

Pardon my stupidity, but when everyone is mentioning hatchery stock that just refers to the quality right? Like a poorer quality of chicken than if I had purchased him from a well known breeder? I didn't necessarily have to have bought it from a hatchery? I got him as a chick from a breeder near me but she is not into show chickens or anything so it could be poorer quality. Sorry for my ignorance...

Quote:
I myself do not have a problem with hatchery stock, others on here do. They seem to think that there is not any good birds that come from hatcheries, when in fact there are some goods ones that do come from them. Another thought here not all breeders produce great quality stock I know they cannot get 100% quality from their chickens because they are constantly talking about culling. Cull though you must.

I'm not saying that you rooster is inferior at all. All of my chickens I have right now are hatchery chickens except for a few that I bought off a local guy and he is just a trader type person not many of his own breeding. I not into showing chickens myself, but I would one day like to breed a better chicken whatever kind I decide that I want to breed closer to the standard, but still able to be a good egg producer, what chickens are mean't to do.

Quote:
I prefer the term "production quality". It means that birds are bred towards production rather than to the standard. Production birds lay more eggs and reach maturity faster than standard-bred birds. I still have hatchery birds in my flock of layers, they have neat little personalities and it's fun to see what pops out of the layer flock for replacements.

draye, not every breeder on here has "issues" with production birds. We simply prefer to follow the standardized guide and keep the genes available to those who wish to do the same. Culling happens with every breeder. It does not mean the birds are "bad", it just means that the birds are not what we are looking for specifically in our breeding programs. Others may be ecstatic to use them to better their own program, but culling is not always a bad thing to a breeder.

Quote:
I prefer the term "production quality". It means that birds are bred towards production rather than to the standard. Production birds lay more eggs and reach maturity faster than standard-bred birds. I still have hatchery birds in my flock of layers, they have neat little personalities and it's fun to see what pops out of the layer flock for replacements.

draye, not every breeder on here has "issues" with production birds. We simply prefer to follow the standardized guide and keep the genes available to those who wish to do the same. Culling happens with every breeder. It does not mean the birds are "bad", it just means that the birds are not what we are looking for specifically in our breeding programs. Others may be ecstatic to use them to better their own program, but culling is not always a bad thing to a breeder.

I think you misunderstood what I said. I said that alot of people had problems with hatchery chick. I know not everyone does. There is just too amny that want to down every hatchery bird. I have nothing against birds bred to the APA standard either, just against people down hatcheryies in general.

Ok ok, sorry if I started something!
th.gif
I was just wondering…. I guess I will assume rooster and if Sprout lays something I will be extra happy!
thumbsup.gif
He is getting picked on by the older chickens since I moved him into the coop and I've noticed the "poof" has been the first thing to suffer so maybe it'll fill in more when they lay off a bit more. He has no guts and tends to just run from everyone… the girls, the guys… the other chicks… he's kind of a big wimp, to his detriment.
barnie.gif
He really is turning out to be pretty and was a lot better looking before he got stuck in with the big kids so I guess I'll just wait it out and see.
smile.png
Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom