What is my rooster doing?

He's so busy reacting (badly!!) to a strange human, when he should be thinking about the hens and pullets, and non-human threats to them. His focus is totally off, and into the 'man-fighter' mode that is just wrong. Lots of excuses for his behavior, but he shouldn't care how she behaves, because she should be outside of his concerns. Mary

I think he was reacting, badly, to something new in his environment.
He picked her probably because she was the most nervous/anxious, as well as her higher voice and movements.
When someone new comes into yard and/or near my run, all the birds move away as far as they can get including the cock/erel, and they may alarm call to vocalize their distress.

I'm not usually one to just send a bird to freezer camp, but an aggressive rooster is dangerous. I have 3 roosters that live in respect of one another and us. I have had aggressive ones that did not get to stay very long in this world. It can SOMETIMES be corrected, but there are way too many good roos that need homes to deal with a dangerous one.
This is the first time he's done this. He's still pretty young. Other than this, he's very friendly. He still lets us pick him up and closes his eyes when we do. Maybe, as someone said, it's because of the hawk attack the other day?

He's growing up and becoming who he wants to be, and it's NOT GOOD! Human aggression (man fighting) is not the same as 'protecting his flock', it's dangerous to every human he meets, and will escalate.
If he were mine, he'd be gone ASAP, before someone is injured.
He just had a very good day, successfully threatening and chasing a human. Next time it will be worse, and he can really cause injuries, especially to short people (children!).
Mary

It's hard to say exactly what was going on. It is aggressive behavior but I don't know if it was caused by her behaviors, they can detect if someone is nervous around them. It's very possible you hit the cause in the first post, it may have been something about her boots or how she was dressed. There are several posts on here where people have problems with a rooster when they wear certain colors or certain shoes. Since he did not bother anyone else it was probably something about her specifically that got his attention.

Since he is still a fairly young cockerel it's possible he's pretty hyped upon hormones. That hawk attack may still have him on edge. It's possible he will grow out of that mode but I personally would not keep him since you don't know what set him off. At the very least be very careful with other people and especially kids.

Back
Top Bottom