What is my rooster saying?

Sep 26, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
My Rhode Island Red has been making the weirdest noise and sometimes it encourages my other rooster (rosecomb bantam) to do it too. They are easygoing roosters who love treats and being pet. They just randomly do this from time to time and I cannot figure out a pattern of when they do it in order to see why they do it. They don’t seem upset and they’ll just be doing it off on their own when no one is bothering them. Anyone have a rooster who does this and know why? I uploaded a video of the main culprit here:

Are you sure they aren't seeing a threat somewhere? LIke off in the distance? My hens and rooster make a trilling sound like that, usually looking out toward the woods.....and everyone stops what they are doing as if it means possible danger. I never see anything, or maybe it's gone by then.

Are you sure they aren't seeing a threat somewhere? LIke off in the distance? My hens and rooster make a trilling sound like that, usually looking out toward the woods.....and everyone stops what they are doing as if it means possible danger. I never see anything, or maybe it's gone by then.
Maybe? The main human door to the coop was open at the time of this video and there is nothing but miles of woods 10 feet from it. I’ll have to pay attention if he only does it when the door is open? They are 5 months and just starting to play outside during above freezing days as we build their run. I’m not sure if he’s done it while playing outside? I will have to pay more attention to what he’s doing everytime he makes this noise. It just started a few days ago.

Mine do that when there is something flying over. Hawk, buzzard, small plane, flock of songbirds. Sometimes I see what they are warning about and other times I don't.
They don't seem to mind the squirrles and don't make that noise with them, but the neighbors cat puts them ALL making this noise.

Mine do that when there is something flying over. Hawk, buzzard, small plane, flock of songbirds. Sometimes I see what they are warning about and other times I don't.
They don't seem to mind the squirrles and don't make that noise with them, but the neighbors cat puts them ALL making this noise.
Thank you for the response 🙂- well that’s 2 for 2 on it being a warning call. Makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom