1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is my silkie doing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sulphiria, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Sulphiria

Sulphiria Just Hatched

Apr 14, 2017
    I have a 7 month old silkie who has been acting strange all morning. She was standing in the nest door making loud noises..trying to crow maybe? She wanders in and out of the box making noise. Is she a he? Or is she ready to lay? 20170607_082621.jpg 20170607_082740.jpg

2. Top Rooster

Top Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    She's just singing about her egg that she's about to lay they often do that before they lay an egg.

Sulphiria likes this.
  3. Sulphiria

Sulphiria Just Hatched

Apr 14, 2017
    That's so cute! I'm really new to chickens. Would she be offended if I sang with her? So excited

4. Top Rooster

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    No not all but she may wonder what your doing. Is this your first chicken egg? She may not actually lay today but the first egg is very soon she may lay tomorrow or the next day. I think when they fist lay they can feel the egg inside them but it's not quite ready to lay she is just a bit excited to get in the nest.

Sulphiria likes this.
  5. Top Rooster

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    I wouldn't be surprised if you got an egg today.

6. Sulphiria

Sulphiria Just Hatched

Apr 14, 2017
    We have a frizzle chicken who has been laying for a week or so.
    No roosters that we know of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by