what is normal poop? (embarrassing question)

farmergal

Songster
11 Years
Jul 21, 2008
Nor Cal
OK, this is an entirely embarrassing question, and not for the faint of heart/nose.
With my new batch of chicks, I feel like their poop is a little funny. But then I realized, I have no idea what "normal" chick poop is supposed to look or smell like!
Here's my guess: greyish/tannish with white, smelly but not awful... not noticeable as long as litter is relatively fresh. (That's how the last group's poo was.)
With my new chicks, some of them (not all) have very wet medium-brown (or sometimes mustard-colored) poo that smells TERRIBLE. Kind of like a bad human baby poo, if you know what I mean. And sometimes (when very "fresh") it's a bit bubbly. And they tend to wiggle their butts a bit and squat deliberately when pooping, which I never noticed in my last bunch either.
Is this normal or abnormal? I am probably just being paranoid, but I read something about cocci being bubbly and mustardy so I wanted to check.

PS -- the chicks are 2 weeks old tomorrow. they're quite healthy-looking otherwise, clear eyes, eating, sleeping, and doing normal chick things.

Quote:
My chicks had the same poop until I started putting them in the pen all day with grass, water, and a little bit of feed, now they have normal & consistent poops.

thanks for the help!
big_smile.png

Quote:
All my chickens squat when they get ready to poop. I take it as a warning signal if they happen to be sitting on my lap at the time.
wink.png
It helps them keep their bottoms clean.
About every fifth or sixth (can't remember which) stool is brown and runny. That's normal.

OMG I was WAY too excited to see myself quoted in this thread!

My reacttion (whilst waving my arms around): AH AH!! I'M QUOTED... THAT'S ME!!

DBF thinks I'm nuts.

Back
Top Bottom