What is on this chick's beak?

TaylorGlade

Over egg-sposed
Premium Feather Member
Jul 29, 2023
Florida Panhandle
She is a 7 week old cream leg bar pullet. We noticed this on her beak this morning. Photos are from three different angles.

It is harder than comb material but softer than beak

Attachments

• PXL_20230809_192120483.jpg
    PXL_20230809_192120483.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20230809_192158984.jpg
    PXL_20230809_192158984.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20230809_193133408.jpg
    PXL_20230809_193133408.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 11
Are there other chicks with her? Possible she's been pecked at, first thought but then looks like an "ulcer" too. See what others have to say but I'd keep a close eye on it; if it grows. If it's with others you need to prevent pecking, perhaps some Blu Kote to hide the "red", may help dry it out.

Are there other chicks with her? Possible she's been pecked at, first thought but then looks like an "ulcer" too. See what others have to say but I'd keep a close eye on it; if it grows. If it's with others you need to prevent pecking, perhaps some Blu Kote to hide the "red", may help dry it out.
If it's an ulcer how do you treat that and what causes it? Yes. She is with other chicks, but we were trying to introduce them to one of our pullets so it is possible that girl is the culprit.

ulcer on chicken beak

I'd want it to dry out but I'd apply some Vetrycin on a QTip, not dripping, dab it on making very sure the chick doesn't breathe it in.

Attempting to introduce the chicks to your flock, it's safest with the recommended method of "see but no touch" .... Section off part of the coop for the chicks so they can be with the others but the others can't touch them for a few weeks. Or put the newbies in a wire cage with food/water, cage in the coop, again they're safe. Or make alot of hiding places that the newbies can be safe from the others. Make sure to add extra feeders/waterers and spread them out so there's no competition.

ulcer on chicken beak

I'd want it to dry out but I'd apply some Vetrycin on a QTip, not dripping, dab it on making very sure the chick doesn't breathe it in.

Attempting to introduce the chicks to your flock, it's safest with the recommended method of "see but no touch" .... Section off part of the coop for the chicks so they can be with the others but the others can't touch them for a few weeks. Or put the newbies in a wire cage with food/water, cage in the coop, again they're safe. Or make alot of hiding places that the newbies can be safe from the others. Make sure to add extra feeders/waterers and spread them out so there's no competition.
We do have them separate in a mini run inside the run. But one got in when were bringing in food

Back
Top Bottom