What is Save a chick?

It's like Gatorade or vitamin water for chickens

83761_t5sc.jpg

Has anyone had better luck with boiled eggs and/or yogart (rather than Sav-A-Chick)? We have a few types of Finches as well as our chickens and the Zebra Finches currently have 3 babies in their nest. Once the babies hatched we had to start mixing boiled egg with a chick vitamin mix for the mom & dad to feed their new babies. One of the nice ladies at the place where we get our chicks from said to use boiled eggs or yogart if they aren't doing well after shipping... Just curious if anyone has a preference on a tried method of nursing weak chicks. Thanks!

Quote:
I use sav-a-chick or sugar water for shipped chicks.. but IF I have one that isnt eating on it's own I will take hard boiled egg yolk and mix it with a little polyvisol (just a drop or two) and add enough of the sugar water or sav-a-chick water to it to make it runny enough to be fed through an eyedropper
if i decide the chick has digestion problems i prefer using kefir instead of yogurt

Thanks, yinepu! All my chicks have been doing super! After the first batch, I learned the difference between and sleepy chick and one that is too lethargic. We have to feed the boiled egg to our finches at times, so I'm familiar with that. I gave all the second batch of babies Sav-A-Chick & boiled egg as soon as I opened their box, along with their regular chick feed and the silver laced wyandotte that was a lil' sleepy now has more than plenty of pep-in-her-step! Thanks again :]

Quote:
I use sav-a-chick or sugar water for shipped chicks.. but IF I have one that isnt eating on it's own I will take hard boiled egg yolk and mix it with a little polyvisol (just a drop or two) and add enough of the sugar water or sav-a-chick water to it to make it runny enough to be fed through an eyedropper
if i decide the chick has digestion problems i prefer using kefir instead of yogurt

Back
Top Bottom