What is she doing/thinking?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mom 2em All, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I live in Michigan...the snow cometh..and takes its time going away.
    I dont expect to see the end of winter until late April/May.
    I went to collect my eggs today, and I have a buff orp who has been laying for only about 2 weeks. Maybe three, if we stretch it. Well, she is camped out on the eggs.
    I have given her HOURS to lay her egg and get out of the hen house, but she is still in there. Whenever a hen sticks her head in there to see what is up, this buff starts complaining LOUDLY but isnt budging.

How will I know if she has gone broody? If she is still there tomorrow? If so, what then?

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Sounds like broody behavior to me. She's young though, she may get bored and give up. Try luring her out with a treat.....

3. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    oops, got the wrong Buff Orp.. this one has been laying since September 9th.

And I couldn't get her off the eggs even with Pumpkin and meal worms. (exotic treat).

*sigh*

4. Maryallison77

Maryallison77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Going broody isn't all bad [​IMG] My broody Japanesse bantam is sitting on eggs right now, I hope that hatch!!!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  5. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    That is classic broody behavior for sure. If you don't want her to be broody right now, just pull the eggs that she has out from under her, and do it every day. She may growl and even peck you, however...but she should be fine as she hasn't been sitting on them long.

6. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    If she spends the night on the eggs, she's likely broody. One of our BO's went broody after laying for about 2 months. We pulled her out of the box every day and forced her outside for at least a little while, but she spent most of about 3 weeks sitting. Then one day she just stopped!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by